How to spot carbon damage (following being a fool)

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Just got back from holiday where I took the bike. Being the fool that I am on the last day there, prior to going on a ride I drove under a round edged parking barrier forgetting I had a rear high mounted bike rack on and WHACK :shock:

Now my mate in the car behind said the rack flexed down allowing the load to go under the barrier and it also took the sting out of the impact, even so my seat took the full brunt of the impact.
I got out, checked the bike over and a seat scuff aside all seemed well, so I rode and have ridden another 2 times since and all seems well.

However, it was enough of a whack/scrape I am still a bit worried I have done damage not visible that could catch up with me.
Is there any way I can check the integrity of the carbon frame and seat post or should I just ignore it and carry on with riding?
Cheers for any advice in advance :)

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    if the seatpost can still move freely in the seat tube, and there is no detectable damage to the outside of the seat tube itself (ie caused by the seatpost flexing inside it), I would put it down to experience and move on...