The strange lure of a Brooks!

trekrider127
trekrider127 Posts: 83
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
Does anyone else feel the same?

Each weekend (and a few times in the week!) I don the lycra and make like a TdF rider with the guys. Yet recently I find myself being drawn to a Brooks Swallow - 100grams extra -so what? Imagine the idea of a saddle which is so much 'me' that I take it from bike to bike over the next 30 years? Imagine having a saddle which once and for all ends the 'which saddle' question.

Has anyone else put one on their carbon dream? Are my rambling naïve dreaming? How did you COPE the first club ride with a ton weight on your seatpost? Have you been stripped of your club colours? Does it look such a weird combination that you now only ride in the dark?

Is it worth it? or am I drifting?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I took a standard Brooks B17 and butchered it to make it look a little less weirdie-beardie and use that on my Kuota Kharma. Consequently I was able to ride 300km/day for 5 consecutive days without any hint of a sore arse. Doesn't look too out of place to me....
    More problems but still living....
  • Pat Murray
    Pat Murray Posts: 95
    I have two! One (honey coloured) on my British Racing Green Audax machine looks very in keeping! The other (black) looks very out of place on my Ridley Noah with ISP - but its comfy - I tried the Fiziks and Sellas and they didnt compare.

Comfort is king!
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I took a standard Brooks B17 and butchered it to make it look a little less weirdie-beardie and use that on my Kuota Kharma. Consequently I was able to ride 300km/day for 5 consecutive days without any hint of a sore ars*. Doesn't look too out of place to me....

That looks like a good idea - i have a Brooks I don't use I could practice on....

In the abscence of a Makita Grinder - what would make a good alternative? Could I use a chisel perhaps?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I used a stanley knife
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    I took a standard Brooks B17 and butchered it to make it look a little less weirdie-beardie and use that on my Kuota Kharma. Consequently I was able to ride 300km/day for 5 consecutive days without any hint of a sore ars*. Doesn't look too out of place to me....

Excellent! Great link.

Did you tie it underneath? I have a B17 which is on my tourer that I've been wondering if I should butcher. That link it the nicest job I've seen and would certainly save on a Swallow. If it works okay I could then get a new B17 and butcher that - put the old one back on the tourer and the new one on the Trek.

And on a Ridley Noah! - any pics guys?
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    I stuck a Brooks Swift Titanium on my Viner Maxima. It doesn't look too out of place but I don't care anyway - it's the comfiest saddle I've ever used. I did the full distance White Rose Challenge and didn't get any problems

I'd go for it
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!