More weight over the front

Belv
Belv Posts: 866
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I have a 2008 Kona Caldera which is generally great but I would like to get more weight over the front end when i am sitting down going up hills. What is the best way to do this - longer stem, slide saddle further back, bar ends, more spacers above the stem, flat bar instead of the riser that's on there?

Comments

• largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I'd try moving your seat forward a bit first. Maybe rotate your bars to move the rise forward. Just to shift the weight a bit more up front. Deffo worth a try before buying new bits.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Belv wrote:
    I have a 2008 Kona Caldera which is generally great but I would like to get more weight over the front end when i am sitting down going up hills. What is the best way to do this - longer stem, slide saddle further back, bar ends, more spacers above the stem, flat bar instead of the riser that's on there?

Sliding the saddle forward on the rails is easy. You could also remove a couple of spacers from under the stem and put them on the top. If its still not enough then try flipping the stem over so its angled down instead of up..
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Those are all jobs even i can manage, cheers.
    I don't really want to mess up the way it handles 90% of the time but i quite like going up hill and it's a challenge to keep the front from lifting when seated.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Belv wrote:
    Those are all jobs even i can manage, cheers.
    I don't really want to mess up the way it handles 90% of the time but i quite like going up hill and it's a challenge to keep the front from lifting when seated.

I've been having the same problem. I flipped the stem and juggled a few spacers about. I'm quite happy with my riding position now.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    It's all about technique. :wink:
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    This might sound stupid, but don't just sit on the saddle when you're climbing, slide forward onto the nose, you should constantly be shifting your position on the saddle during a ride. As Xtreem says, it's all about technique. If you move your saddle forward you might sacrifice efficiency on the flat.
  • ~longer stem
    ~less spacers
    ~saddle further forward
    ~flatter handle bars
    ~ shorter forks
    ~tilt handle bars forward

the list goes on ! aha