How much travel?

monkeypants
monkeypants Posts: 150
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi chaps,
I'm just wondering how much travel is recommended for a "go everywhere" bike. I'm really liking the look on the 2010 Reign X but I've been told that 6.7" is way too much for anything in the UK. I do plan on going on trips to France etc with the bike but I don't want something that's just going to swallow everything here and make it boringly simple.

I've been speaking to someone who'se owned a Nomad and he said that was too much for the UK with its 6.5" travel and he was local to Scotland at the time and I value his opinion. I'd just like some others to back it up and give me their feedback on what they think is appropriate rear wheel travel for most UK trails/riding that could also handle Alpine trails once a year and welsh/scottish trails more often.

My realistic choices are the Giant Trance X, Reign X, Trek Fuel EX and Remedy. I'm also looking at the Intense Tracer VP and Uzzi VP, though I'm sure when the time comes my brain will connect and I'll realise I don't want to spend nearly £2k on just a frame, no matter how nice it is.

Thanks all.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Basically there is not such thing as pure od it all bike. The ones we do have tend to be 5-6 inch travel 'all mountain' bikes, and can do some light DH, but light enough to get up climbs. But an XC bike willl always outpace it in that respect, and a DH bike blow it away on proper downhill tracks. MOR bikes.

Which brings me to my second point - how can someone say that x amount of travel is not enough/too much for somewhere as vast as the UK and all its riding spots? Depends what bit you ride!

Thirdly travel does not always equal usage. Some tough bikes may have 4 inch travel. Some XC bikes 5 inch. Components and angles are worth considering too.
  • monkeypants
    What I mean is a bike that can take on everything and get out the other side. I'm not looking for an XC racer or a DH racer, just something I can ride up a hill and then down the other side without passing out on the up or shaking my joints apart on the down. I live in Lancashire and ride in Cumbria a lot. Most trails are well looked after and are smooth with obstacles, but some are a bit bumpy as the rocks still stick up out of the ground.

I ride a hardtail at the moment but fancy something that can go a bit faster through the rockier descents. It's very slack, 65-66deg head angle at full travel, 67 when I'm riding typical trails at 130mm and I really like it that way, hence why I'm looking at the bigger bikes as the shorter travel ones are steeper.My bike's also rather heavy, so weight it's a big issue for me as I don't mind taking my time getting to the top, I'm in it for the enjoyment not the burn.

I've ridden round Coed y Brenin on a 5" Stumpjumper and seem to remember that was quite jolly, but it was my first outing on an FS so I have nothing to compare it to. I don't think I got full travel (I think I very slightly over pressurised the shock), but as I don't really know the place like the other trails I ride I wasn't too aggressive so I don't know if that was the reason.

I just would like to know how much travel people have and where they ride mostly and what they think it's like.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds liek testing a few out is in order. I prefer a slightly steeper set up than you, but that is just preference.

WHat sort of money are we looking at?
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    My bike has 140mm of travel and this is more than adequate for the riding that I do (North Wales trail centres and natural riding). Coped with Snowdon without any problems, eats the rocks of CYB for breakfast :D

I too prefer having downhill speed to uphill speed but personally 160mm + would be overkill for me.

I think for typical trail centre riding 120mm is actually probably enough but it depends if you want to carry that little bit extra in the bank for when you tackle something a bit more extreme.

Stu
  • monkeypants
    Supersonic: it depends how much the right bike costs! I think I'd cap myself at £2-£2.5k.

Thanks Stu, I'm thinking that I should get a Trance X and increase the fork travel/get a new fork. I'm used to riding a hardtail over everything so 127mm will feel like a lot to me and I'm sure it could handle the occasional Alps trip. I think it's a good point to start and judge where I want to go from there.

I'll try and get as many test rides in as possible before I do decide to buy.