Is it wrong for me to want to buy a team kit . . . .

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    RichN95 wrote:
    grantus wrote:
    As an aside, a friend of mine turned rode his first open '10' wearing a borrowed Lampre skinsuit as he didn't have any other gear. The commissaire had a word with him to tell him not to do it again as someone might mistake him for a pro Lampre rider. He was only 3 stone overweight at the time and riding a £200 massi...

This guy?

fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg

He's apparently a good descender.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited July 2009
    Ramanujan wrote:
    the rule is that you can get away with team shorts.
    But under no circumstances whatsoever can anyone but an actual pro wear a trade team top.

lol...with the greatest respect that is complete tosh. I've seen loads of riders everywhere both in the UK and abroad with replica team tops, and you only have to ride around Box Hill to see loads there. I've also got a Saxo top and have no particular preference to the Saxo team. I just like the tops. Also got a couple of retro tops from Presta, including the Renault one.

The Columbia kits are hideous imo though, and so are Astana's.
  • Team jerseys rule - especially obscure or retro ones. Personally, I'm not a fan of the plainclothes approach. Still, you have to pick the right team one. Some are hideous.

Also I don't go for team shorts as you have to match with the team top, and I do think the full on team top and team shorts look can be a bit OTT. Get black or blue shorts and swap the tops round.

I find this idea that if you wear a replica yellow jersey or polka dot then you'd best be fast completely absurd.

Quite the opposite - if I saw someone in a TdF yellow remake then I'd assume, perhaps wrongly, that they were quite new to the sport, or didn't cycle often.
  • sampras38
    Rhods wrote:
    On the topic oof buying team,kit, does anyone remember the name of the website that sells pretty much all team kits. It may be based in Italy?

Thanks

Have a look at Probikekit
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Can I ask the OP which team's kit you liked the look of?

....as long as it wasn't Astana :)

This one's a can of worms. I've always thought it was considered very uncool amongst 'serious' cyclists to wear replica trade team kit. Then again, cyclists tend to be awful snobs concerning gear and clothing. Personally I'd feel a bit of a tit wearing the same gear as a professional, but that's just my opinion. There's a bloke in my office who rides to work occasionally and does the odd sportive, and often wears full on Disco kit (I think he's even got the yellow jersey). I've tried to explain why it's not cool but he was having none of it. To be honest I couldn't come up with a convincing argument, I suppose that one boils down to whether or not you like LA.
    On the other hand, classic retro strips like Peugeot, Z or Molteni are different but I can't explain why. Maybe it's something to do with expressing some sort of knowledge or interest in the history of the sport, and the great riders of the past?

Also, my experience of joining a club has been entirely positive, but I really don't like our yellow kit so my favourite tops for general riding are a London Pride jersey from Foska.com, or a red Specialized team job. Maybe just a jersey and not the full kit with shorts, socks, mitts etc is acceptable. Up to you really.

P.S. Did anyone see that pic of Sir Alan Sugar, think he was riding a Pinarello wearing full Garmin kit?
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Mettan wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    grantus wrote:
    As an aside, a friend of mine turned rode his first open '10' wearing a borrowed Lampre skinsuit as he didn't have any other gear. The commissaire had a word with him to tell him not to do it again as someone might mistake him for a pro Lampre rider. He was only 3 stone overweight at the time and riding a £200 massi...

This guy?

fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg

He's apparently a good descender.

Friggin' leave me alone will you.

It was early autumn when that was taken. Plus the colours aren't really all that flattering anyway. Unfortunately they were out of the ProTour white jersey, so I got this discounted.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    sampras38 wrote:
    Rhods wrote:
    On the topic oof buying team,kit, does anyone remember the name of the website that sells pretty much all team kits. It may be based in Italy?

Thanks

Have a look at Probikekit

Or Prendas
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Prendas for the retro stuff I should add.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Homer J wrote:
    It's wrong, just so wrong. Join a club and wear the club kit. 8)

Two points here its not wrong in any way shape or form and joing a club should be the last thing he would want to do. My experineces of three clubs they were full of TDF wannabees who want to blow you out the back on your first club ride.

Where do I sign-up? :shock:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    http://www.supercycleclothing.com/

I often find trade stuff cheaper than the normal kit, asseos, northwave etc etc
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Against popular opinion, I really like the Columbia kit, especially the new HTC one with a hint of green.
  • Rhods
    Can you get replica bib-shorts for ladies? My girlfriend really likes them, but would imagine the cut on the shorts are for men.
  • sampras38
    http://www.supercycleclothing.com/

I often find trade stuff cheaper than the normal kit, asseos, northwave etc etc

Nice one...I quite like the s/s discovery top.
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    Well, I reckon each to his own. Wear what you like. However, I personally wouldn't wear a full trade-team kit. Like someone mentioned before, I'd feel a bit of a tit! I think wearing either the shorts OR the top is ok, but not the full hit. Just my humble opinion. I'm happy with my club kit.

Retro jerseys are pretty cool and I have no problem with them... not that I have any at the mo!

Joining a club has to be one of the best things I've done. Yep, there's a little bit of friendly micky-taking when you're the newbie... and on my first ride with the "fast guys" I got suckered into riding on the front into a head wind for far too long, but hey you live and learn. Generally everyone is friendly, supportive and helpful.
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • Rhods
    I'm sure it was said before in a similar thread that white shorts look silly on legs which aren't tanned and shaved! What are people's opinion/experiences?
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Well, I wouldn't buy white Lycra due to the amount of crap on the roads in this country.You can never get it clean! The problem is you can't wash it at higher than 30 degrees otherwise you'll ruin it, but that doesn't seem to get the mud stains out. Bad idea.
    Also, yes, it looks rubbish unless you have a tan, which would be unlikely if you've only ridden in the UK this summer.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    How about wearing a trade top from one team and shorts from another, or is that just wierd (I'm just asking for a, erm.......friend) ?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I've been known to do it, but AG2R shorts and a CSC top isn't the greatest of looks, some combos work others don't.

Then again if it gets you seen by the motorists...
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    is this not like saying you can't wear a replica footy kit unless you have a six pack and can do a full pilates side plank?

seems like 99% of replica footy kits are worn in conjunction with beer bellies and man boobs
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    carrock wrote:
    seems like 99% of replica footy kits are worn in conjunction with beer bellies and man boobs

PMSL!! :lol: So true!
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Wear what you like I say, as long as it fits and does the job who should care? I like to wear my Euskatel jersey whilst out training on my own as I like its design and its so f*&king bright car drivers have to see it.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Homer J wrote:
    It's wrong, just so wrong. Join a club and wear the club kit. 8)

Er why?

Club kit is usually mingin' (apart from West Lothian Clarion's which is quite fetching)

Wear whatever you like. Have you guys noticed we're riding around in lycra and look like complete dorks? If you think you look cool, you're wrong. You're either a skinny runt in lycra or somebody that is too big/fat to get away with it.

Just deal with it and wear what you like 8)
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Forunately all my kit is now retro (and also appears to have shrunk!). Did have a Carrera jersey when I first started and a couple of GB tops (genuine, courtesy of a club mate). I also bought a Campag top for my first long sleeve which I usually ended up wearing with Shimano tights - what can I say, I was young and new to the sport!? :oops:
  • Rhods wrote:
    I'm sure it was said before in a similar thread that white shorts look silly on legs which aren't tanned and shaved! What are people's opinion/experiences?

Best if female legs too.
  • Edwin wrote:
    Also, yes, it looks rubbish unless you have a tan, which would be unlikely if you've only ridden in the UK this summer.

This is the real reason for early Spring training camps abroad. :D
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Rhods wrote:

http://all4cycling.com/

Also good for trade team kits:
    http://www.trikotexpress.de/profi-teams-radsportbekleidung/
    http://bobshop.de/

And on the topic I wouldn't give a monkeys about wearing a trade team kit, each to their own I say. I can understand why some would prefer not too but some of them are just too cool not to own and wear as you like IMO :wink:
  • I have the full Saxobank team kit, right down to the socks :-) I also ride a Spesh so according to you lot, I'm committing a cardinal sin :-D

I'll purchase more bike bits till I feel absolved of my sins hehehe
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • sampras38
    jrduquemin wrote:
    I have the full Saxobank team kit, right down to the socks :-) I also ride a Spesh so according to you lot, I'm committing a cardinal sin :-D

I'll purchase more bike bits till I feel absolved of my sins hehehe

I have a Saxobank s/s jersey but I don't think I could ever wear the whole lot.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    Hmmmmm....maybe a plain-ish top and pro team shorts but more than that and you are either trying way too hard or are simply a bit wet behind the ears.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I don't understand the team shorts but not the top thing? I would have thought it the other way round! I just blindside the poshe (sic) cyclists by wearing Endura MTB shorts with my Garmin top (yes i do like it actually!)

There is someone who rides around here in a full World Cup Quickstep kit which i have often thought was a bit much!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver