What's the best stuff to wear in the rain when its summery?

fearby
fearby Posts: 245
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
You knows what I mean.

When the weather is like it has been recently and you can get soaked at a moment's notice. I don't want to be drenched with sweat by wearing waterproofs but also don't want a wet backside.

Any clothing up to the mark?
I will be getting some mudguards before you ask..... :roll:

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    fearby wrote:
    You knows what I mean.

When the weather is like it has been recently and you can get soaked at a moment's notice. I don't want to be drenched with sweat by wearing waterproofs but also don't want a wet backside.

Any clothing up to the mark?
    I will be getting some mudguards before you ask..... :roll:
    Get something wicking and NOT cotton. I carry arm warmers to avoid the chills as I dry off.

Within reason, its okay to live with being a bit damp.

For biblical rain, you could carry a rain cape - small enough to fit in a back pocket. Very light, usually very sweaty, but an option for avoiding being completely sodden and cold for the rest of a ride.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Skin. It's waterproof.

-Spider-
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    lycra
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Your normal gear, lycra shorts, and carry a Montane Velo jacket - scrunches up to the size of an apple, and will hold off even heavy rain for about 40 minutes.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I've got one of those Montane jackets (windproof pertex one, not the waterproof one) too, it's excellent.

Most of the time in summerish weather I find I'm most comfortable in my normal riding gear though - unless I stop for a longish period of time, but that doesn't happen on a commute. Occasionally, if it's rainy before I set off, I'll pop the Montane on (or a waterproof, if I'm starting from home, depending on my mood).

Having said all that, I do the whole changing in and out of riding gear routine. If you commute in work clothing, a lot of this probably isn't applicable.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Personally - I have completely given up on any waterproof. Cycling shorts and a Tee shirt for me + my canvas trainers. All kinda dries out over the day, redy to be wet again for my ride home.