A quick intro and a couple of questions!

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey all,

I'm kinda new to mountain biking. Not riden since my old bike got stolen a couple of years back, but used to do quite a bit of scrambling round woods and mud before I got a driving licence. I've decided to have a crack again, and bought myself a Specialized Hardrock Sport. Enjoying the new bike so far, and having a bit of fun riding round trying to find some places to go.

So anyway, first question. Whats the best way to pick up routes and trails? I'm from Beeston area in Notts, though I've not been here long so very little idea of the local area or where might be good to go. So far I've just been playing around Attenborough. Anybody recommend routes, or websites to plan stuff out, or live in the area and be happy to take an extra along on a ride?

Secondly, I need to get a few bits of kit. Mudguards, waterproof and cycle computer are pretty high on the list. What sort of stuff should I be looking at? Are full guards on the front better than the downpipe style guards. Do people bother with guards at all or just embrace the mud? Any recommendations on bits of kit which are good, bad or simply essential would be great.

Look forward to a couple of responses, sorry for the long winded post.

Comments

• ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I don't bother with mudguards, getting mucky is all part of the fun ;)

Computer wise, I've just ordered a Cateye Strada wireless...

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/cycle-com ... eless.html

Heard good things about them :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • WeAreACC
    WeAreACC Posts: 20
    Wireless computers keep your bike looking neater. The cheaper ones can be a bit dodgy staying attached to your fork- Cateye's use zip-ties rather then sticky pads so they stay on.

Mudguards are good but only for laughing at usually- Crudcatcher/glasses are useful so mud doesnt blind you just as you round a blind bend into a group of redsockers with a cloud of shi-tsus.
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    i would bother about a mudguard unless you want a muddy back and behind
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10
  • Helen-mtb
    Helen-mtb Posts: 112
    even though im pretty new to this myself, i personally would only use mudguards if i was racing... the mud is half the fun! i love it! just can be a bit annoying getting mud in your face every 2 seconds if your trying to race i spose...

sorry i cant help with the other stuff, from down south :)
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Computer wise, I've just ordered a Cateye Strada wireless...

Been using a Wireless Strada for 2 years and it hasn't missed a beat. Looks very tidy on the bike too.

I have been toying with the idea of motocross style front guard recently as i'm still knee deep in mud in the middle of summer.

Glasses are a must though...even with them on i got hit by some mud just under the eye doing 25mph down a big old hill the other day and the initial shock could easily be enough for a big off.

But in general the filthier the better :wink:
  • Helen-mtb
    Helen-mtb Posts: 112
    Agreed nfrang. i think thats why a lot of my friends put on my mudguards for races...

glasses definately a must though
  • yep another vote for cat-eye :P
  • stevepj
    stevepj Posts: 38
    Don't use mud guards personally, what's a bit of mud between friends. I used to have a computer on the bike but had nothing but hassle with it, i know use the Nokia Sports Tracker and it's the best "computer" i've ever had.
    Why are all the parts i've upgraded on my bike, now standard on the latest model!!
  • Olliesdad
    Olliesdad Posts: 2
    Would recommend a crud catcher it keeps the dog poo out of your face :shock: and thumbs up for the cat eye.

I live in the north of notts and there are some good rides in sherwood forest(blidworth/Calverton area) or a bit further up the road at sherwood pines(about 30mins)
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    OS Explorer map for your area will show all bridle paths, tracks etc, you can pick one up in Smiths or Millets
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • OH NO Dan
    OH NO Dan Posts: 186
    Hi mate. I would get some OS maps of your area as beski said. Or do what i do and head out and just explore. Getting lost is half the fun imo.

If you have transport, Sherwood pines isnt far from you thats a good ride. Theres plenty of riding to be done in the peak district.

Embrace the mud, it is your friend!
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    My SKS Xtra-Dry arrived in the post this morning. £11 from a shop on eBay.

I'm hoping to use my bike for commuting as well as off road so a mudguard is a must.
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Thanks guys, useful info. I went out yesterday on a bit of a shopping trip. In the end I opted for the Trek 8I cycle computer. It seems similar to the cateye strada, same functions etc but over a tenner cheaper, which should do me fine for now.

I also settled on fitting a crudcatcher, just to keep muck out my eyes/face whilst riding. Skipped on the back mudguard. Also treated myself to a half decent waterproof jacket and some cycling gloves with padded palms. I've already been feeling the pressure on my lower palms just above the wrist.

Went out for a quick 7mile blast yesterday and feeling quite chuffed. Thanks guys.
  • bikemate from aldi cost £13 - speed, temp, heart with the chest strap, trip, calories, training zones for cardio etc and the time. Get quick release mudguards, if it's dry leave them at home.
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Scarbs, as well as your crudcatcher get an old innertube and some cable ties,
    cut the innertube length ways and open it up then measure it up against the front
    fork crown and the headtube and fix it to the bike with the ties.
    Probably not a very
    good description for you but loads of mountainbikers do it, cheap and easy.

It catches the crap thats thrown forward by your front tyre and what you ride into,
    Though you probably know that lol I paid near on £1500 for my bike and I can honestly
    say its the best upgrade I've made to it! Trust me you wont regret fitting one, especially in this weather!
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    scarbs85 wrote:
    I'm from Beeston area in Notts, though I've not been here long so very little idea of the local area or where might be good to go.
    one of my favourite spots in Notts is over by the Bramcote/Hemlock park http://www.moredirt.co.uk/trail/United-Kingdom_East-Midlands/Hemlock-Stone-Trails/251/
    its got some fun downhill and dirt jumps :)

further a field there's some good riding to the south of Notts round East/West Leake and like others have mentioned Sherwood Pines and the surrounding area is good. Stock up on those OS maps.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!