Best type of bike for my journey? (29 miles of canal paths)

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this type of question comes up often but it was hard to run a search on exactly what I was after as the word canal comes up in so many threads...

I only have experience of mountain bikes and know next to nothing about other types of bike so looking for a little guidance for my next purchase.

I do 29 miles day mostly on canal paths (down the river lea from north London to Limehouse if you know it) - most of it is pretty smooth but there's sections that are bumpy in varying degrees.

I can do a 14.6 mile journey in 55 mins (usually closer to an hour) which I think is pretty quick considering I have to slow down for pedestrians, narrow bridges, cobbles etc. On the road parts I generally go at about 19-20 and on bumpy concrete about 16-17.

I use an old GT avalanche 1.0 with 1.95 specialized crossroads tyres (these are a revelation compared to the stock nobbly ones).

I know a mountain bike can take the wear and tear (although I somehow broke a spoke recently) but I'm not sure how other types of bikes fair. I feel like the bike I have is slight overkill for this type of journey with it being so flat and only using the highest gears.

I guess there must be a few people on here who do similar routes so I'm after informed opinion on what the best choice will be and whether I could expect to get that much quicker. Having done the journey for a few months it's physically very easy but of course I'd like to be as fast and efficient as possible as no doubt it will get tougher when temperatures drop.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    tumbleweed.jpg

Where's K_B with his cylclocross recommendation?
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh... you're SO predictable! :wink:

Actually I was going to mention the issue with canal paths and express my surprise at the speed pastryboy can achieve down them!

The only thing I'd think about is the fact that in the Winter the surface is going to degrade so tyre choice is going to be critical - that and all the bleeding mud flying around, so whatever is chosen will NEED muguards.

Meh - the people 'round here know what I think is a good choice :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter