At 6 foot 3" What Size road bike do I need ?

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Im looking at Scott's at the moment but I have no idea what CM I would need.
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,930
    Interesting.

You now ask questions based on 'height' not 'weight'

If thats not progress I don't know what is.

Chapeau
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gb155
    Interesting.

You now ask questions based on 'height' not 'weight'

If thats not progress I don't know what is.

Chapeau

LOL :D:D

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    gb155 wrote:

These days, with sloping top tubes, varying angles and different head tube lengths, it varies from model to model, let alone manufacturer to manufacturer. You'd be well to go to a decent bike shop an try out some bikes and see what works for you.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    gb155 wrote:

I have a Scott CR1, and at 5' 7" and a 31" inside leg, I have an M (virtual 54cm). So you'll need something larger than that. :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Sizing on road bikes is a bit... interesting.
    There's a few schools of thought on the matter.

I'd start with the Competitive Cyclist Fit Calculator to get an idea, but you really do want to be test riding a few to get a feel for what you'll find most comfortable.

Disclaimer: I basically did everything the wrong way around, found a bike, basically agreed to buy it, test rode it. Liked it :) It was nice to see that the fit calculator basically agreed with me, though :)
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    I'm 6'2", 32.5" inside leg, I have a 57cm top tube and a 120mm stem, which I find pretty comfortable. Now I'm going to check out that calculator and see if it agrees!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I'm 6 foot, 34" inside leg, I have a 58cm top tube and a 90mm stem and it's maybe a wee bit big for me.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    It's so dependent on how your height is split into leg and torso length. Get thee to a bike shop - you're making an investment - no guessing!
  • New poster.............so don't hold me to it.....

I'm 6ft 4", not sure about inside leg but at a minimum I wear trousers with a leg of 34 (if it's the same thing I hold my head in shame)

Ive got a couple of Specialized bikes, and use a size XXL or 61, works pretty well for me
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's so dependent on how your height is split into leg and torso length. Get thee to a bike shop - you're making an investment - no guessing!

+1 Especially if you have a long torso! Just go to a decent shop and not that one that you've had the grief with!!

Join ussssssssssssss....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    +1 Especially if you have a long torso! Just go to a decent shop and not that one that you've had the grief with!!

Or a short torso - or any other weirdness that means that no off the shelf frame is going to fit you properly...........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm 6'3" with a long torso. My commuter bike is 58cm which is really a tad small. My Focus Cayo is 60cm+ I think (XL frame) which is more stretched and better for club rides.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hmm my (2008) Focus Cayo is an XL and is 58cm...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Really? Mine's an 07 model and for some reason I have it fixed in my head that it's a 60 or so cm frame. It certainly feels larger and longer than the 58cm commuter.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gb155

Dave I will do that, Your right, leg lenght and diffrent manufacturer's mean there be little point in guessing.

To everyone else, Thanks : :D

• cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    I'm slightly shorter than the OP, about 6'2 1/2". My road bike is a BeOne Storm in a size 59.