2010 Bicycle Prices

starseven
starseven Posts: 112
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Just been in the local specialized dealers. 2009 crosstrail top model 684 pounds, 2010 same spec (ish) 999 pounds.

Better snap up any 2009/8 models if you are thinking of buying soon.

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    starseven wrote:
    Just been in the local specialized dealers. 2009 crosstrail top model 684 pounds, 2010 same spec (ish) 999 pounds.

Better snap up any 2009/8 models if you are thinking of buying soon.

2008 prices were the lowest. Since the economic problems began the price of bikes ( which are all made in the far east ) have all increased

The best times to buy are October and early Feburary.

In October at the first flush of the sales is a good time because there might be something you really want in the size/colour you want.

In Feburary, dealers aren't selling much: Xmas is over, people aren't thinking "hmm must get a new bike to ride about outside in the freezing cold" and warehouses etc must be cleared for the new stock coming in for spring. So the odd stuff that is left from the previous year is often heavily discounted. If you are 6'4", or a midget and your favourite saddle colour is flourescent pink you might just strike it lucky
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I always go by the cost of a Specialized Allez.

The top of the range model cost in:

2008: £850 - £900
    2009: £999
    2010: £1,199

The 2009 and 2010 models have carbon seat stays all come with Shimano 105. :cry:

Dark times ahead.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    vorsprung wrote:
    The best times to buy are October and early Feburary.

In October at the first flush of the sales is a good time because there might be something you really want in the size/colour you want.

In Feburary, dealers aren't selling much: Xmas is over, people aren't thinking "hmm must get a new bike to ride about outside in the freezing cold" and warehouses etc must be cleared for the new stock coming in for spring. So the odd stuff that is left from the previous year is often heavily discounted. If you are 6'4", or a midget and your favourite saddle colour is flourescent pink you might just strike it lucky

Who you calling a midget :shock: I'm 'petite' :D

Makes a note to bike shop end September
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I wonder how long it will be before it becomes cost effective to mass produce bikes in the UK again?
  • DonDaddyD
    linoue wrote:
    I wonder how long it will be before it becomes cost effective to mass produce bikes in the UK again?

You know I was thinking the same thing.

Fact is the price increases apply mostly (and largely) to bikes and equipment manufactured in the Asian continent.

Campag, proper Italian made frames, Boardman and Dolan have hardly seen any increases (though there have been some they are incredibly slight).

An ideal situation (for the economy) would be for manufactuering jobs/factories to come back to the UK/Europe returning from Countries like China and India. A bike industry boom, would be awesome. II'd sign up!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • artaxerxes
    Unfortunately the UK has lost a lot of its engineering skills base, the reason Taiwan makes most of the frames in the world isn't just because of cost. It's because they have the skills/technology/infrastructure as well.
  • DonDaddyD
    linoue wrote:
    Unfortunately the UK has lost a lot of its engineering skills base, the reason Taiwan makes most of the frames in the world isn't just because of cost. It's because they have the skills/technology/infrastructure as well.

England can retrain and rebuild. Surely we could source all those redundant car manufacturers.
    Food Chain number = 4

• I thought it was a bit of a myth that the UK didn't do manufacturing these days. And that, in truth, we are still one of the largest manufacturing countries in the world (albeit declining slowly).

I don't have the time to do a detailed search but a quick google threw up this
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    linoue wrote:

England can retrain and rebuild. Surely we could source all those redundant car manufacturers.

Hello, hello, what about Wales/Scotland and Ireland (cough - cough) :roll: .

I can only speak for Wales but we've lost loads of manufacturing jobs, Hotpoint closed it's North Wales factory this week which was opened in 1954 and at its peak employed 2000 (300 jobs lost), Hoover went in March (300 jobs lost). Sony went from South Wales in 2005 (650 jobs lost), plus many more.

Manufacturers can get some decent grants here too :D

Don't forget Corus (ex British Steel) too, they've cut no end of jobs - I'm quite partial to a steel frame - quite tempted to sort my 501 Peugeot frame out soon.

China are struggling and are also finding trade very tough on the whole with distributors happy to deal with small quantity orders that they would have turned their nose up at in the past!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Benno68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    linoue wrote:

Nah, untrainable :P
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • benno68
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    linoue wrote:

Nah, untrainable :P

:lol:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    What about Ireland?

That anything made there would be more expensive that the UK goes without saying, everything in Ireland is more expensive, just one reason companies are busy closing down their operations and moving elsewhere and just one of the reasons the economy their is steadily deteriorating.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    I bought some running shoes recently. I tried a few in the £70-£100 price bracket, including from well known brands famously made in cheap factories in the far east. I ended up with some New Balance ones for £80, which along with being the most comfortable and supportive (for me) had some interesting innovations too. Only when I got home did I find out, to my genuine surprise, they are made in the UK.

So if the UK can be competitive with making running shoes (which must be middle of the road in the technology/price/bulk balance), I'd've thought we can with bikes or anything else - ?
  • DonDaddyD
    In terms of functionality, New Balance have made some of the best trainers for at least a decade maybe more.

In terms of fashion... not so much.

But that's true of a lot of things. There are tons of UK items. HiFi equipment for example, there are some outstanding high quality HiFi equipment (proper stuff, not a mini system from Sony, I'm talking about Electrostatic speakers, platinum covered interconnects, power amps, diamond vinyl record needles that sort of stuff) that are made in the UK.

Aren't Toyota's and Nissan Micra's put together over here as well?

Sometimes I don't think the UK gets enough credit. Other times, we put too much effort, publicity and tollerance in the ASBO generation and that is counter-productive.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Is this the Daily Mail forum or what!?
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    Is this the Daily Mail forum or what!?

Come again?

Mate, I'm all for a global economy and businesses and all that but three things annoy me.

1) Call centres in India. Consistently unhelpful. Hard to understand. Rude.

2) Lack of secondary and tertiary sector businesses in England. Importing is expensive during a recession and we're hit hard because we import almost everything. I fear Britain has lost too much of its production infastructure.

3) The belife that things that British made products aren't as good as products from the Continent, America or Asia. This is mainly about cultural belife, part of the reason British society has fallen in terms of pride is because it has stopped believing in itself.

Vote DonDaddyD
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    You're bringing a patriotic tear to my eye DDD, you have got my vote! Lets join hands and sing Land of Hope and Glory. :)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:shock: there is no better trainer than an old school New Balance, I must have, what, 4 pairs on the go at the moment? I swear by them, best trainers ever (although Converse one-stars are a worthy runner-up).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Not my experience. Infuriating, yes. Complete lack of empathy / understanding what I, as the customer, require - yes. But rude? I always find them so polite I can't bring myself to get angry with them...
  • DonDaddyD
    MatHammond wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Not my experience. Infuriating, yes. Complete lack of empathy / understanding what I, as the customer, require - yes. But rude? I always find them so polite I can't bring myself to get angry with them...

Take every rant I have ever made on this site combine that with several years worth of ranting on a comic book site, alongside some of the most obnoxious people ever. Role that up into one conversation and you would still fall far short or the sheer and utter levels of rage Lloyds TSB have made me reach.

I'm talking bleeding from the eyes level of rage.

Then there is BT and British Gas.

It's gotten so bad I'm starting to enqurie where a companies call centre is based before I agree to sign up.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    MatHammond wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

:shock: there is no better trainer than an old school New Balance, I must have, what, 4 pairs on the go at the moment? I swear by them, best trainers ever (although Converse one-stars are a worthy runner-up).

There are only three fashionable brands of trainers.

Nike
    Adidas
    Converse

Then there are pretenders like:
    Kswiss
    Puma (sometimes)

That is all.

Trust me I'm younger than you.
    Food Chain number = 4

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Take every rant I have ever made on this site combine that with several years worth of ranting on a comic book site, alongside some of the most obnoxious people ever. Role that up into one conversation and you would still fall far short or the sheer and utter levels of rage Lloyds TSB have made me reach.

I'm talking bleeding from the eyes level of rage.

Then there is BT and British Gas.

It's gotten so bad I'm starting to enqurie where a companies call centre is based before I agree to sign up.

British Gas are crap in the uk too.

The worst call centre ever is the 3 mobile one, I wanted to cancel my contract after the 18 months was up because I live in the sticks and couldn't get a signal at home. The guy is 'customer services' told me that according to his system the reception was fine an tried to sell me a phone for 20 minutes, while I had to keep saying no cancel it please, no cancel it please. Nightmare would never use them again.
    Virgin mobile on the other hand are brilliant.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • benno68
    +1 for Virgin Mobile - they're good in my experience.

Virgin Media on the other hand can be a nightmare.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • artaxerxes
    Nike
    Adidas
    Converse

Then there are pretenders like:
    Kswiss
    Puma (sometimes)

That is all.

I prefer Asics for running shoes, and old school Onitsuka Tigers for casual wear.
    I'll have a look at New Balance next time though, I didn't know they still made shoes here!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DDD, at 27 you're years past knowing the cool fashion trends, sorry fella :)

Here, there's a spot on the sofa all ready for you. Just bring your slippers and we'll have a nice cup of tea waiting. Join us...
  • artaxerxes
    Actually, I did notice that every airport I passed through on my recent holiday in Asia used Smiths scanning machines. Nows theres a legendary British engineering company.