If you could have one bike to commute on

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
If you could have one bike - money no obejct, no questions asked - to commute on what would it be?

Me?

lotus-sport-110-3a.jpg

The bike that started my love of road bikes...
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Can we have other bikes to have fun on?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DDD, I hope you're commuting purely by velodrome as you're going to lose all your fillings the moment you hit a poor road surface!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It just doesn't look right without a monoblade fork!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    DDD, I hope you're commuting purely by velodrome as you're going to lose all your fillings the moment you hit a poor road surface!

Fillings? Oh dear. It's always depressing to see people conforming to the stereotype of poor British dentistry. :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The bike is sex incarnate. If you don't like it, its because you're ghey and don't like it rough. If that bike was a women it would have a bedroom arsenal the likes Bush could crush the Middle East with.

Anyone else want to post up their dream commuters?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm finding it hard to think of a dream bike for commuting. I'm pretty sure I'd hate to commute on a TT bike though.

Maybe something like a Dawes Ultra Galaxy Ti.

dawes-ultra-galaxy-ti-2009-touring-bike.jpg

I think any real dream bike for me would be a road bike rather than a commuting machine.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Agent57 wrote:
    I'm finding it hard to think of a dream bike for commuting. I'm pretty sure I'd hate to commute on a TT bike though.

Maybe something like a Dawes Ultra Galaxy Ti.

dawes-ultra-galaxy-ti-2009-touring-bike.jpg

I think any real dream bike for me would be a road bike rather than a commuting machine.

Not to be rude but if that's your dream bike I wouldnt like to see your nightmares! :wink:
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    To be honest, the things that make a bike brilliant for commuting on are exactly the same things that tend to make it bad for looking at with your eyes .
  • Agent57
    Paulie W wrote:
    Not to be rude but if that's your dream bike I wouldnt like to see your nightmares! :wink:

:D Yeah... I was confused by the "to commute on" part. I just don't see exotica as commuting steeds.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • What about the bike Lance Armstrong used for the final stage of the TDF? Designed by Damian Hirst will go for auction to raise funds for Livestrong, it is expected to go for $1m+

Just for the sheer vulgarity of it.
  • Agent57
    I would like to give that Beru Factor 001 a go. Doesn't look particularly pretty though.

factor001_2.jpg
  • Agent57
    And I'd like to have one of these, just for its sheer funkiness:

450x313-bicycles14.jpg

:D
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Is the bike from the new Tron film an acceptable choice DDD? ;)
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Jamey wrote:
    To be honest, the things that make a bike brilliant for commuting on are exactly the same things that tend to make it bad for looking at with your eyes .

:lol: That is pretty much the case - Wanda's bike is much more practical than DDD's, it has to be said. Sorry!

I could go the toppest and most fanciest tricross frame with some nice road wheels for actual commuting, tho...
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Agent57 - I like your style (in both cases :shock: ).

I'd prefer something bespoke, so along the lines of:

2.jpg
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    *stares*

White mudguards?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    I love the lack of pedals in the Fotos.

What you do with the bike then, just scoot along, while the guy/gal on the Galaxy rides past?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I could be tempted by the darkness of CX for an ideal commuter:

colnago_prestige_black_2009.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If you could have one bike - money no obejct, no questions asked - to commute on what would it be?

Me?

lotus-sport-110-3a.jpg

The bike that started my love of road bikes...

They've taken a picture of it with the chain on the inner ring. Oh my.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Cannondale badboy white edition ss with drop bars...Yummy
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    AR1.jpg
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Roastie wrote:
    Agent57 - I like your style (in both cases :shock: ).

I'd prefer something bespoke, so along the lines of:

2.jpg

Sweet - I love that sort of thing. Their randonee models are even nicer (IMHO). But, even if I was in the US, they've got a 5 year waiting list! :shock:

So maybe something from, say, Villiers Velo. Just need to save my pennies - x 200,000! BIt like using a Bristol for a commute rather than DDD et al's Subaru Impreza gadget fest.

Look at the lugs on that!

randonneur_frame.jpg
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I could be tempted by the darkness of CX for an ideal commuter:

colnago_prestige_black_2009.jpg

That is so cool it doesn't even need to touch the ground...
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    madone69pro_whiteblue.jpg

I have simple tastes...
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    addict1.jpg

If it's good enough for Cav I'm sure it'll be the perfect SCR weapon :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    My very own fixie (see sig) would be perfect - Although I must say that DDD's Lotus bike looks so well designed - it is a study in pure speed and exhuberence.

I don't think I would go with a carbon road bike....bit too aggressive for bimbling about the town on....and wit would get nicked.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    NGale wrote:

I have simple tastes...

+1

I've been commuting on my dream bike for the last 2 weeks :lol::lol::lol::lol: It's not quite a 6.9 pro though, only a lowly 5.2 :cry:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Rich158 wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I have simple tastes...

+1

I've been commuting on my dream bike for the last 2 weeks :lol::lol::lol::lol: It's not quite a 6.9 pro though, only a lowly 5.2 :cry:

They had a 6.9 Pro out at Evans in Spitalfields when I was in there with my dad once, he nearly passed out when I turned the price ticket over :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • O'Day
    O'Day Posts: 26
    gtvlusso wrote:
    My very own fixie (see sig) would be perfect - Although I must say that DDD's Lotus bike looks so well designed - it is a study in pure speed and exhuberence.

I don't think I would go with a carbon road bike....bit too aggressive for bimbling about the town on....and wit would get nicked.

I like the fixie. By the height of your saddle relative to the bars I guess you'd be flat out riding that thing. I favour the head first approach myself. And with the help of a declining top tube like yours; even better. What kind of frame is it?