Best 7Stanes trails for kids?

sheepworryingbhoy
sheepworryingbhoy Posts: 167
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Need your opinions please, heading to the Dumfries area next week on hols & will be riding a few 7Stanes trails with missus & 8 year old in tow. Basically which are the best trails for good family runs? Hopefully I can keep them happy while I sneak off for some decent XC riding :)
Any advice greatly recieved.

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    I'd give Dalbeattie a whirl, skills area to play around, plus if said 8 year old tires, theres plenty of options to bail out of back to the cars via fire roads.. plus you can do the slab while they go round on the easier bit.

but while you're there you may aswell have a shufty round all of them..and everywhere has maps and stuff for all of them
  • Cheers papasmurf. Dalbeattie is definetly on the list & I also think it's the nearest to where we are based.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    In which case, Mabies just round the corner aswell.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Glentress is good for kids too- lovely green loop (easy to get to from top car park) and skills area for a bit of a play, bigger kids will like the essentials freeride, and if they're more capable then the top blue is very welcoming too, though possibly too long (first time I went there I got overtaken by an 8 year old on a plastic BMX shortly before my legs dropped off :lol: )
    Uncompromising extremist
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Need your opinions please, heading to the Dumfries area next week on hols & will be riding a few 7Stanes trails with missus & 8 year old in tow. Basically which are the best trails for good family runs? Hopefully I can keep them happy while I sneak off for some decent XC riding :)
    Any advice greatly recieved.

Deffo Dalbeattie and/or Mabie. Just bear in mind that there are no facilities at Dalbeattie - just a car park. There's a shop and cafe at Mabie.

I've been going to the Galloway area longer than I care to remember - my mum and dad used to drag me up there when I was about as old as your nipper, and I'm still going now!!

If (when) the weather isn't fit for riding, there's plenty other stuff to do indoors as well in that area - the Gem Rock Centre in Creetown is well worth a visit and great for the kids too. Cream of Galloway is good too.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Thanks for the advice, I think we'll stop off at Glentress on our homeward journey seeing as we'll be heading northwards. Thanks for the non-riding tips as well now that the "great" summer conspirsy has been blown! 8)
  • yug33
    yug33 Posts: 76
    Glentress - the family green is great, you can do the skills loop and also cycle up the forest road from the green and join parts of the blue so you dont have to ride all the way up and do the whole blue. Rather than drop down after the top of the skills loop turn up to the forest road, past the top of the freeride area and a little further on is a part of the blue!
    Cube Ltd
    Cube Stereo the One
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just the scraggly end of Blue Velvet though, unless I'm confusing the locations. You can get easily onto the blue outward from there but only via Pennel's Vennel or the old raceline, and they're not so family friendly :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist