Bicycle Bormio

Slow Climber
Slow Climber Posts: 8
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am considering a bicycle vacation to Bormio, Italy in late June 2010. Does anyone have an experience bicycling in the area? I would enjoy hearing about your experiences. Second, I am considering staying at the Hotel Funivia which is one of the Italy Bike Hotels. I will rent a Pinearello from them to ride the Stelvio and other passes. Does anyone have any experience with the hotel? Thanks

Comments

• mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Well , I thought I'd ridden most places in Italy , but - wouldn't you know it - never through Bormio . Still , as no one has yet replied to your specific question I will reply with a general observation .

Have ridden the passes - Tonale and Mendola ( I think they're called ) between the Adamello and Stelvio lumps and the Majola pass down from Davos , NW of Bormio . It's great alpine country and in summer heaven on earth .
    Italy is super friendly for the cyclist without qualification . As a biking tramp , I have no first hand experience of course , but I've heard only good reports about the Bike Hotels . The Funivia I'd suppose to be at the base of a cable car station .

Unless the weather is terminally dull it will be an exceptional cycling experience .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    Try this website, as the guy has ridden most places in Italy:-

www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk

His name is Allan, and the photos on there are certainly inspiring !
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes, Allans a friend of mines and we actually did Bormio together...his website is excellent...you can also read of my experiences here:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 325&page=1

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 326&page=1

Enjoy!
  • Thanks for the links. The photos are great. I am also going to check the hotel mentioned in one of the posts.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    Hi
    Make sure that you ride the road up to the Concano lake. Fantasic switchback road (although you might be bored of them by then).
    Enjoy!
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Thanks. I found it on Google Earth. It looks stunning
  • Some great pictures and info there on the climbs around Bormio - really helpful too as I'm planning a trip out there sometime soon with friends. Loved the blog, Richyboy - that's added even more to growing excitement about the trip.
  • When do you plan to go? I am looking at next June and would enjoy being part of an informal group
  • We're going in three weeks, hopefully. Can't wait. :lol:
  • Next June for me. Let me know how the trip goes if you have ime to share a note when you return
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Try the mortirolo from Mazzo; you will certainly know you have achieved something when you get to the top. Also, try climbbybike.com to have a lokk at profiles and blogs etc.
    Enjoy your trip.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look
  • Muzak
    Muzak Posts: 78
    hi, is it daft to attempt stelvio from prato with panniers carrying 10-15kg?
  • Muzak - not daft if you've got the gears and the fitness. It'll take a while but a granny gear (say 32 or 34x27) should be enough to see you through if you're reasonably strong. These things are all relative of course.....
  • I do not plan to carry anything other than food and drink so MAYBE I will make it. Thanks for the warning