Who was your man of the tour?

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Just interested who people think was the best.

Cav - 6 stage wins
Wiggins - Finishing 4th overall
Contador - Second TDF win
Evans - For not getting arsey and throwing teddy bears out the pram like last year

So the list goes on and on. Over to you.

p.s. Jedster did write the following quote, not Lance Armstrong....
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Cancellara, for keeping Lance out of Yellow by 0.22 sec :twisted:

And by 'decrepedness', did jedster mean 'decrepitude' ? :lol:
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Andy Schleck.
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    David Millar,
    For the Barcelona stage and his motivation for going for it ("Sheer stupidity" he said when asked)
    For putting in some prodigeous turns on behalf of Brad Wiggins, Tyler Farrar and Ronaldo Nocentinni.
    For making sure that Tom Simpson is not forgotten.
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Renshaw for some of his lead outs for Cav
    Hushovd for his mountain stage attack to win the green jersey
    Wiggo for an epic allround ride
    Mrs Wiggo for the most amusing Twittering! :lol:
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Nibali, for riding a superb race when people were beginning to lose faith in him and only concentrate on Kreuziger.
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    Wiggo for his superb all round performance and his grit and determination on Ventoux!

Renshaw, Hincapie and Eisel for their part as Cav's lead out train.

Andy Schleck for his strength and maturity beyond his years.

And finally... love him or loathe him, Lance for a truly astonishing comeback Tour.

There were lots of other good rides too.... AG2R had a terrific tour.
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I would list:

1st - Cav - none of those finishes he won were even close - the photo finish operator may as well have gone on holiday

2nd - Wiggins - simply a revelation and a breath of fresh air to see such an unaffected bloke up their with the likes of His Lanceship

3rd equal - Brice Feillu / Christophe Le Mevel / Nicholas Roche - some great performances by up and coming riders

4th - Tony Martin - to be able to come back from his mega-leadout the day before and then stay with Garate all the way up Ventoux was superb - even if he looked half-dead on the climb
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    mandie wrote:
    David Millar,
    For the Barcelona stage and his motivation for going for it ("Sheer stupidity" he said when asked)
    For putting in some prodigeous turns on behalf of Brad Wiggins, Tyler Farrar and Ronaldo Nocentinni.
    For making sure that Tom Simpson is not forgotten.

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador for amazing attacking and for sheer mental strength in the face of adversity.

Cavendish for an unbelievable 6 wins.

Feillu for exciting attacking on more than one occasion.

Astarloza for first win in 8 years and superb emotion.

Ivanov for 10k solo effort to win.

Sanchez for his tactically clever win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Nocentini deserves a mention for hanging onto yellow longer than expected
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Astarloza & Nicholas Roche.

Roche is one to watch in the next few years.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Cav, of course!
    Well, he's the best looking guy in the peloton and not many people could look as good as that in bright green... what's not to like?!! 8)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Christophe La Mevel and Bradley Wiggins for exactly the same reasons, gutsy, determined "from-nowhere" performances. You got the feeling they were surprising themselves.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • donaldinho
    donaldinho Posts: 103
    The Schlecks for not only attacking, but telling everyone in advance when they were going to attack.

And 'chapeau' to both Voigt and Hincapie for being hard as hell.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    There are just so many -

Wiggo - Gritty and Witty
    Cav - Brilliant Sprinting plus added Controversy
    Contador - A deserved winner under undeserved pressure
    Andy Shleck - For at least trying all he could do
    Brice Feillu - Young, talented and adventurous
    Tommy Voekler - Finally rewarded with a stage for his endeavours
    Mikel Astarloza - For taking his chance and rewarding the Basque fervour
    Thor Hushovd - For dignity under fire and a superb repost
    Just about all the Columbia riders for their commitment to Cav
    Franco Pellizoti - For being more than just a Poser
    Heinrich Haussler - For endeavour and emotion
    David Millar - For his attempted stage win and team duty
    Fabian Cancellara - For devasting TT's and demon descending
    and - although it does not come easily - Lance for a superb peformance on the bike if not behind the scenes.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Lance for being a kn0b when he didn't have to be but rode a great tactical race but still shamed riders who should have at least attempted to kick his butt.

Cav - the man. Superlatives are pointless, that last stage just said it all and a classy custom bike as well.

Wiggo - for sheer grit and for actually putting Armstrong/Contador on the defensive. Sastre/Evans please note.

Columbia/HTC - the new Saeco? Absolutely magnificent to watch. Team with a capital T and able to terrify other teams into not doing any work because they'll lose anyway.

Cancellara - class on a bike.
    M.Rushton
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I liked the way LA said that the aim of his day was to tire Wiggins so that he wouldn't take so much time off him in the TT. A real compliment to Bradley I think.

It was also good to see a few stage wins by French riders. So not one man but a collection of a few.
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    Kenny van Hummel - for not stopping until he fell off
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Columbia for their team work - that mutual commitment makes me really quite teary. But a special mention to Hincapie for his work on the last day with that damaged collarbone.

Oh, that's reminded me (grief, I'm in a soppy mood this evening), Hincapie for his devastation when he just missed yellow. I did shed a tear then. Just wanted to scoop him up and give him a big cuddle.
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    Kenny Van Hummel
    Nicholas Roche
    Wiggins
    Hushovd
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    mrushton wrote:
    Cav - the man. Superlatives are pointless, that last stage just said it all and a classy custom bike as well.

Yep, definitely gets my vote for bike of the tour. 1246916640799-1lkhum9zbo6wf-798-75.jpg

1246916747917-802fbm3rcbmb-850-65.jpg
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    I agree totally with boz64 and need say no more!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • kaacp
    kaacp Posts: 93
    I know I'm biased, but it was great to see the Irish champion's jersey figure in the peleton and Nicolas Roche had an excellent first tour.

I was willing Wiggins on to get to third, and hope he gets in the top 3 in the future.

I thought Cancellara was a terrific team rider once he was out of yellow - had no particular opinion of him before, but am a fan now.

And Haussler crying in the rain as he won his stage was lovely!
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Kenny van Hummel - for not stopping until he fell off

Couldn't have put it better myself. Definietly my Man of the Tour.

Mark Cavendish for being so ravishingly sexy. Also for winning 6 stages, wearing green rather fetchingly, being 100% honest as usual and as for the Champs Elysee stage..........well, even my cat sat up in awe.

Wiggins. for pursuing what he wanted and mixing it with the very best. Chapeau Brad!

Wiill we see yer likes agin, Robert Millar? Well, we did this year, Wiggo.

Hincapie. If only he could have worn yellow................if only for sentimantality and I know, I know......it's a race, but.............

Jens! Get well soon

the Schlecklet. 'cos he's cute.

'Little' Tommy Voekler.

Brice Can'tPronouceHis Surname

Thor 'I like Herring' Hushvold for his solo ride that day.

Bertie the Accountant
    I will be using Alberto Contador as an example in staff training as to how to stand up to bullies, and have spent this afternoon in writing my power point presentation (thud. snore) on this matter. I hope to engage my colleagues in the following of cycling by this.

(dons not only a tin hat but full body armour and flees for the nearest exit)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    ..............just time to shout 'how could I forget to mention Davy Millar and his ride into Barcelona?' as I flee.
  • Franco Pellizoti - because when he got on in the final 50 metres and amitted the strongest rider won with a huge smile on his face. And for his win in the KOM. Looked a class act.

Brice Feillu - seems mental aka Sylvain chavanel style. Which is always good to watch.

Fabian Cancellara - Awesome work for the team and has balls of steel going down.
    Giant SCR ever so slightly pimped
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    Tusher wrote:
    ... and as for the Champs Elysee stage..........well, even my cat sat up in awe.
    LOL!! :lol:

Also like to add my best wishes to Jens Voigt for a speed recovery. Hard as hell and a model pro!
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,647
    [Fabian Cancellara - Awesome work for the team and has balls of steel going down.

Is that why he goes so fast?!?!?

Mine are Alberto Contador, Mark Cavendish, Thor Hushovd, Bradley Wiggins, David Harmon, Brice Feillu, Fabian Cancellara, Sean Kelly, David Millar, Carlton Kirby, Ned Boulting and Heinrich Haussler, in that order.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Haussler, Pelizotti, T Martin, Big Jens, Nicolas Roche, Nocentini, Sean Kelly, Carlton -Eurosport's man of mystery, DH, Eurosport coverage, camera work French TV, Husovd, Houta whatsit. Bert doing his own thing without a twitter.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Carlton Kirby was amazing. He was like a slightly more lucid version of Rowley Birkin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BKRZTalEys

On the road - boring choice but it was Wiggo for me.
    Le Blaireau (1)