Wiggins to publish blood test records

connackers
connackers Posts: 11
edited August 2009 in Pro race
From Reuters: http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE56S1WM20090729

"Bradley Wiggins said he would publish his blood tests from the last two years to dispel any doubts about the legitimacy of his surprise fourth-place finish at the Tour de France."

Also talks about his plans to try to win Olympic gold and the Tour in the same year... I'm guessing for him to even have a chance he needs drugs to be eliminted from professional cycling.

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I hope he does publish them. As for his goals:
    http://twitter.com/bradwiggins/status/2906988294

I think a tour win is a big ask. Aim for the podium first.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I think aiming for Giro or Vuelta would be easier for him but hey that's me and that would still be an amazing feat for a brit!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    He just keeps on going up in my estimation.

Wonder if the others in the top five will follow suit?....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    To be honest, I don't really see why publishing his blood results is going to make him look any 'cleaner'.

Surely if there was anything suspect in there, the UCI would have flagged it before now anyway.

Or is this just to show that his hemocrit levels haven't jumped from 39 to 49% in the past year?
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    He's a class rider.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    and from eurosport

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29072009/ ... tests.html

good on him, he will also win media praise and profile with this and a new breed etc etc
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Pokerface wrote:
    To be honest, I don't really see why publishing his blood results is going to make him look any 'cleaner'.

Surely if there was anything suspect in there, the UCI would have flagged it before now anyway.

Or is this just to show that his hemocrit levels haven't jumped from 39 to 49% in the past year?

I think that to discipline someone under the bio passport then you have to be able to back it up in a court of law. In between natural levels and disciplinable levels there is therefore going to be a dodgy area where the UCI are pretty sure that someone is doing stuff but cant quite get enough evidence to discipline them. If such a person was to publish their test results then all the experts would be able to point out that they were suspicious. Therefore, if you publish your results and they arent suspicious then it makes you look cleaner.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Pokerface wrote:

Perhaps but at least he's making an effort. Is to be applauded and is a better approach than "next question" or "i'm the most tested...never tested positive blah blah.

He's trying to prove a negative rather than hide behind the excuse that you shouldn't/can't do that.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    grantus wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Perhaps but at least he's making an effort. Is to be applauded and is a better approach than "next question" or "i'm the most tested...never tested positive blah blah.

He's trying to prove a negative rather than hide behind the excuse that you shouldn't/can't do that.
    +1 The omerta must be broken.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The danger with this kind of thing is people don't know what "normal" looks like. So if his HCT jumps around then people will pick up on it.

It would be nice to see some analysis along with it. But being prepared to put it out there is a good step.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    grantus wrote:

Damn that pesky logic!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    The danger with this kind of thing is people don't know what "normal" looks like. So if his HCT jumps around then people will pick up on it.

It would be nice to see some analysis along with it. But being prepared to put it out there is a good step.

I thought part of the Garmin deal was that they would only release the tests to the press if they had lined up an expert to do the analaysis and commentary - hence Ashenden last year on VDV's profile.

But it's not clear whose rules this is under, since he is talking about releasing values for the last two years, and even going to BC to get all his values since he was 19. In that case they could just dump all the data out there, and yes, that might be confusing.

I'd suggest that anyone who does make a noise about HCT jumping about, with no reference to any other parameters, should just be put on one's mental "ignore list"...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Refreshing:

"British Cycling have all my blood tests results from the age of 19 and I might even release everything from the last 10 years."
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    You wouldn't wanna play poker with this guy would you !!!! :lol:

... he's just raised the stakes big time, all his chips are going into the middle of the table... the other players better now either show us their cards... or fold and pi** off out of the game

... Wiggins sure is a class act
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    I'd suggest that anyone who does make a noise about HCT jumping about, with no reference to any other parameters, should just be put on one's mental "ignore list"...

Bro, it's all about the 'crit! If someone's 'crit went from like 43% to 47% I'd know they were doing something.

I wonder what he'll publish? Haemoglobin, OFF and Z scores I'd assume?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Where you said "doing something" you meant to say "jacked".
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    iainf72 wrote:

got to be a tv doco in there somewhere

the brad story

the stats

the analysis by a decent sized group of independent experts
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    iainf72 wrote:

Bro, it's all about the 'crit! If someone's 'crit went from like 43% to 47% I'd know they were doing something.

channeling RealGains? :lol:
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Go Wiggo - do it!!!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I hope he publishes his blood alcohol levels as well. Sounds like he can be a bit of a boozer!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    DaveyL wrote:
    I hope he publishes his blood alcohol levels as well. Sounds like he can be a bit of a boozer!

If you've read his autobiography, and I've just finished it, that's true, as he admits in his book. Huge credit to him that he got his arse in gear and was able first to win a couple of Olympic track golds and then to ride a stunning Tour de France.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • shannyla
    shannyla Posts: 28
    deal wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

channeling RealGains? :lol:

The similarity is uncanny... CEM is the scariest website I have ever, ever looked at.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Some nice graphs of Bradley's blood to look at. I've no idea what they mean myself, but Cycling News seems to like what it sees.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-values-point-to-cleaner-peloton
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jamlala
    As you say Rich, goes straight over my head. But if they're happy then I am too. Sheep mentality.

Come on then the rest of the riders (as Delia Smith said whilst pissed in the middle of Norwich Citys pitch one half time trying to rouse the supporters) 'Letsbeeeavinnyouuuuu!!'

I for one would like to AC's results......
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • irvini
    irvini Posts: 44
    Bradley Wiggins needs to stop worrying about people suspecting him, you can tell he's not a drugs cheat just by his performances.
    We don't need to see his blood tests to know that.

He's a genuine bloke and the fact he can't sprint up a seriously steep mountain at double the speed of the peloton puts him in a different and much more impressive class to those that can.
    It's here it's now it's disappointingly lacking in any real knowledge, http://blogs.liverpoolecho.co.uk/acyclistslife/
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:
    Some nice graphs of Bradley's blood to look at. I've no idea what they mean myself, but Cycling News seems to like what it sees.

Bro

These tell me nothing Bro. I need to see the 'crit levels to know if he's jacking. These "OFF" scores are just scientific mumbo jumbo. Let me eye ball the 'crit bro. Why do you think he didn't publish his 'crit?

:wink:
  • jamlala
    As far as I can see he did :wink: !
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Bro

These tell me nothing Bro. I need to see the 'crit levels to know if he's jacking. These "OFF" scores are just scientific mumbo jumbo. Let me eye ball the 'crit bro. Why do you think he didn't publish his 'crit?

:wink:

Haemocrit was 44.9 ± 1.9 %
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Good for him but this will end up putting pressure on others.

So Alberto, Andy, Lance, what are your numbers?
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    So Alberto, Andy, Lance, what are your numbers?

Can he modify them again?