Gypsies Green track - South Shields

alex16zx
alex16zx Posts: 153
edited October 2009 in Track
Does anyone know if this track is still safe to ride? I know it's disused but I believe people sometimes go for a spin round it just for fun, on whatever bike they have, and I'd quite like to give it a go myself but it's a good few miles away from me and I don't want to go only to find I can't get in/it's not in a rideable state.

Comments

• well i played footy there a few year ago nd its in a shody state lets be honest...probalys gt bits of tarmac missin now, ok for a little spin but wouldnt want to put much power down, as a blow out would probalys be headin your way...
  • J-89
    J-89 Posts: 61
    I live in shields but have never ridden on the track at gypsies green, ran there but never ridden. Might pop down sometime 4 an inspection ride but from what i can see it looks in a very sorry state!!

I wouldn't make special effort to ride down, although the ride down the coast is quite nice :)
    J-89
  • Cheers, well I'm thinking of doing the coast ride - out from Durham to Sunderland and then up the coast, then inland to Gateshead and back down to Durham, next week, so I will have a little look in. I won't be bringing a track bike or anything though! :lol:
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240
    I rode the track league there and Middlesborough in '94 when i was working in the north east both were good from what i can remember, but Gypsies Green could be a bit on the windy side sometimes..

There was something cool being able to see the sea whilst at 'altitude' at the top of the banking. Reminded me of Calshot !

e.