Navigating Audax

FyPunK
FyPunK Posts: 160
Got my first Audax ride in September, well been advised to try the populair ride as my first taster into Audax type events so happy to go with that. So to the question, how many people use gps or stick to old technology (maps). I realize the cost of gps is a factor in the numbers using them.
www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    From my limited audax experience, I'm quite happy to use the route sheets provided, but prefer a map. From reading elsewhere on the net, the ease of interpretation of routesheets can vary from organiser to organiser.

I'm not sure that I'd want to rely on a GPS; if the batteries die or it gets a knock and stops working, you're stuffed. I'd want to take a map as a back-up anyway, so don't see the point of the extra expense / weight. An OS map also gives loads of extra infomation.

I've been experimenting joining lots of Bikely screenshots (with the route marked) together and adding controls and any other relevant info.

I'm, by nature, a luddite. Any expensive piece of technology has to have great benifits to justify it's purchase. At present I can't see passed an OS map and a compass (in case it's overcast and I get disorientated).
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • CumbrianMan
    CumbrianMan Posts: 240
    I've got Memory Map software, so what I do is try and get the route details beforehand (they normally send them to you), and then plot the route, and then print off. Then if I struggle to follow the route sheet, I can get the map out.

If you just had normal OS maps (like I had for France), I photocopied them at work, highlighted the route on them, and put in a plastic bag. This gave me a simple, cheap and lightweight map. And if it did get wet, I didn't have to buy new maps.

Cheers
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • nosmo-king
    nosmo-king Posts: 47
    I'm also a Luddite when it comes to technology. I use the routesheets for audax and ctc rides. It helps if you trace the route on OS maps beforehand ,to give you an idea where you will be going. Take those maps with you in case you get lost! If you need a few maps then it might be easier to buy a cheap road atlas and rip out the pages you need.
    I add route finding to the overall experience and enjoyment!
    P.s. be careful not to assume those in front of you know where they are going. Always check your own routesheet. I added 6 miles to an audax recently through this mistake!
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).
  • FyPunK
    FyPunK Posts: 160
    Interesting answers, I would of thought in the age of technology there would of been a pro gps answer. I know all about following the person in front of you syndrome, I used to do a lot of fell walking events. I have the route printed from one of the online planners and added the control points in but thought perhaps my old gps on the bars would save me time messing, but as with my fell walking, I always had a map handy. Cheers
    www.justgiving.com/aidyneal Cycling Manchester to Blackpool. Look out for number 1691
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    FyPunK wrote:
    Interesting answers, I would of thought in the age of technology there would of been a pro gps answer. I know all about following the person in front of you syndrome, I used to do a lot of fell walking events. I have the route printed from one of the online planners and added the control points in but thought perhaps my old gps on the bars would save me time messing, but as with my fell walking, I always had a map handy. Cheers
    Okay - I use a bottom-of-the range Garmin Etrex with routes plotted using Memory Map software working from the route sheets (which I always take along for back up, just in case).

I have navigated over 3,000 km with the GPS now and have never got lost since I started using it, unlike most of my audax-riding pals working from route sheets who seem regularly to go off course.

My worst navigational error was to go about a mile past a junction because I was talking to another rider and forgot to look at the GPS for a few minutes. When I did, I could see exactly where I'd gone wrong

I have found the GPS extremely reliable, except with one pair of rechargeable batteries which were physically slightly smaller than the pair that I normally use. As a result, the batteries were loose in the battery compartment and bounced about going over bumps, resetting the GPS. Using the larger cells completely fixes that problem.

Some event organisers now provide route files, but usually I have to prepare my own. Not a problem - I enjoy doing it.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Well, I must be a Luddite. I don't have a GPS and when I have done Audaxes (only one this year :( ) I've never even bothered transferring onto a map, I've just followed the route sheet. Sure I've gone wrong once or twice, but nothing serious and you can track back and work out where you are pretty easily. Anyway, there are usually few people around you; even though I agree with the comment above about needing to decide for yourself, there is usually someone around to ask. For a first-timer, if you wanted the extra reassurance, jut tag yourself onto a simlar speed rider/group and you'll be fine.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    FyPunK wrote:
    Interesting answers, I would of thought in the age of technology there would of been a pro gps answer.

Er, this is people doing audax you are talking about :D

i work with computers all day so I do not find the idea of having to program a map into a GPS and mess about with it as GPS users seem to have to do.

I have nothing against GPS but it's not for me. I look at a map first, follow the route sheet and have pages from a road atlas with me as backup

When I've travelled with people who have been using GPS on events I've had basically 3 experiences from GPS users

1) i just got this thing and it's not working/the batteries are flat/i didn't load the map right

2) it's this way! (actually no it isn't) we aren't lost! (then wtf are we?? I'm getting my map out. I knew I shouldn't have followed him)

3) it's this way! (it is! how convenient! the route sheet was a bit tricky to follow back there)

A fully working and correctly operated GPS is actually pretty rare
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    vorsprung wrote:
    FyPunK wrote:
    Interesting answers, I would of thought in the age of technology there would of been a pro gps answer.

Er, this is people doing audax you are talking about :D ...
    C0105_wk18_montypython2_L.jpg
    Some audaxers pose for a group photo at a control. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill