SPDs off-road for the first time

ross_mcculloch
ross_mcculloch Posts: 478
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
I've had SPDs for a week now and I'm getting not too bad with them on the road and in the park. I'm hoping to use them on the trails for the first time shortly but to be honest I'm bloody terrified!

Any top tips for using SPDs off-road?

Comments

• bear baun
    bear baun Posts: 71
    lossen them right off!!! :lol:
    Genesis Core 20
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Pick some easy trails to start with!
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • ian220476
    ian220476 Posts: 164
    I recently started on trails in SPD's as well so understand. Loosen them off as suggested and the first chance you get to try something that you're unsure about - do it. If you hesitate then that will stick in your mind.

As with all things in this sport, sometimes you've got to take the plunge and 9 times out of 10 you'll be pleasantly surprised! If not, then turn round and have another go.

I came off on my first big obstacle with SPD's and turned round and tried 4 more times until I got it and haven't looked back since.
    GT XC1 - the harder you ride it, the better it is

Stumpy FSR 2010 - Rides over everything and everyone
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    They take a while to get used to but you'll be glad you made the effort. You'll probably find you're very cautious on them for the first week or two, this is normal so don't assume you'll never get used to them and give up. Perseverance is key. You'll probably crash a lot more those first few weeks too, caused by being too cautious (wussy) and hitting the brakes where you shouldn't :lol: When it does click though though, they're worth it over flats.

It's a long and ongoing process though. I've mine for about 2 months now and had an awkward pratfall on a short steep climb lastnight. Smashed my elbow into a rock and the metal buckle on my HRM claimed its half pound of flesh too :oops:
  • Helen-mtb
    Helen-mtb Posts: 112
    ouch zeroman! that sounds nasty! ive just bought some SPDs and am thinking about putting them on in the next week or two, pretty scared about falling off and hurting myself when i eventually hit some trails! not too othered about the embaressing topples though lol!

good luck ross! you've got more guts than me! im bl**dy nervous about trails! and not being able to just, slip my feet around haha! or forgeting to unclip or not being able in time =[

and loosen them off? what does this achieve? confusing stuff lol!
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Helen-mtb wrote:
    ouch zeroman! that sounds nasty! ive just bought some SPDs and am thinking about putting them on in the next week or two, pretty scared about falling off and hurting myself when i eventually hit some trails! not too othered about the embaressing topples though lol!

good luck ross! you've got more guts than me! im bl**dy nervous about trails! and not being able to just, slip my feet around haha! or forgeting to unclip or not being able in time =[

and loosen them off? what does this achieve? confusing stuff lol!

From what I remember you bought m520's??? they have a bolt with - & + signs, use a allan key to set it towards the minus, this makes it easier to clip in/out. As you get more confident you can tighten them.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Helen-mtb
    ooh right i see! Sounds like a good idea! thanks lol! Might still be a while till i get and use them though!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I'd say avoid any really steep techy stuff to begin with and you should be fine. The most nervous I felt/feel on SPDs is traversing along the side of steep banks and then trying to cut a tight switch back (still on the side slope... if that makes sense). But as you get more used to them you'll get confident and you'll find you really don't need to put your foot down because you're able to ride through stuff. They'll also help to force you to carry more speed over obstacles, so that you clean them rather than having the back up of dipping a foot for confidence.
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Hi guys,

I got some of the Lidl SPD shoes on Friday and ordered my 525's yesterday and reading this stuff is making me nervous..... :(

Don't worry though, i'll give it a go, ease myself in and i'm sure i'll be fine in no time.
  • Helen-mtb
    gk i know how you feel! im nervous too but im sure we'll be fine in no time lol! make sure you let us know how you get on when yu start using them! im gonna wait a while i think lol! :oops:
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Just get them fitted and go for it guys, you'll be fine! :D
  • Zeroman_IR
    I didn't mean to discourage anybody. The benefits have far outweighed the disadvantages of them for me.There's no point waiting, SPDs are like a skill in themselves so you'll probably have the same experience in a few months time if you waited to fit them :lol:
  • Helen-mtb
    I'm not the greatest of mountain bikers, i probably come under the "worst bikers" category lol! im lazy on hills on not too confident on a lot of downhil/sigletrack... but i love it and im getting there!

just need to get out on my bike more, thennn i think its time to fit the pedals :)
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I have defected from Shimano SPDs and gone with Crank Brothers which I think are much better for mountain bikers!

They are much easier to get out of in an emergency (clipped out serveral times without even thinking) and the brass cleat seems to make clipping in easier although they wear out quickly.

Give them a go.
  • Zeroman_IR
    I use the Crank Brothers myself, but they seem to be much more of a love/hate pedal than the Shimanos and cost a bit more than the 520s. So the 520s are maybe better for people who are unsure about clipless.

They can buy some CB Candies then when they're sure they're gonna stick with them :D
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    If you want some pedals I have some unused PD-M540s boxed as new. If you want them make an offer.
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    What a pisser.... ordered my Shimano 520's from Merlin yesterday. Got home today and was buzzing that they had arrived. Quickly grabbed my shoes and stuck the cleats on easily enough. Got my old pedals off the GT and then went to put the 520's on and couldn't get the first one (Left) on. Checked I had the right one and it said "R" so cursed myself for being an idiot and grabbed the other one which also wouldn't go on, checked it and it was a "R" so was confused.... checked the other again and realised they sent me two Right pedals and no Left.... :evil:

Gutted now I'll have to send em back and get more sent out... was ready to go out tonight and test them out :(
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    my advice is get out there and give them a go.

i have just started riding around the surrey hills/north downs area and decided to just go straight in with the spd's.

first ride i fell off 4 times all at about 3 mph on technical climbs. a few cuts and bruises just made me all the more careful next time out.

so far no problems going down hill which is a bonus as falling off at 25 mph would not be such fun...
  • Ste-9n2
    Ste-9n2 Posts: 5
    How do you slacken 520`s off? that ajuster at the back on the spring?
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    yeah with an allen key dude!
    It's been a while...
  • Man up. It ain't that difficult. Hundreds of thousands of cyclists use them every day and don't give it a second thought.
  • Ste-9n2
    Ste-9n2 Posts: 5
    ta peeps yea just waiting for decent weather to take mine out for a practice
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    Go for it with the SPD's, ive been using them since about 93 I'd guess and so its the most natural reaction for me to move my heel out and down whenever I stop. However a lot of friends have recently started riding, or taking things more seriously and using SPD's so have witnessed my fair share of beginners non-unclippings and toppling overs. As far as I can make out the falls occur when the people have become a little bit more confident. When you are still brand new to the pedals every thought running through your mind is must unclip, must unclip. Well try not to, since the big benefit of SPDs is they keep your feet planted on the bike when things get rough.
    Yes you may fall off a little to start with but rest assured everyone has been there and bought the t-shirt as well, its not just you. Like I said when you get more confident with them, you will forget about them at just the wrong moment, this happens more when you need to unclip quickly without thinking rather than when you have time to thing your stopping procedure through.......
  • Guss-81
    Guss-81 Posts: 10
    I've bought a Rockhopper with 505 SPD's and although I've only had 3 rides I've had no issues. On the first ride my mate stopped infront of me uphill and I had to unclip sharpish, which I did with no problems. There was a iffy moment on a crossing in the centre of a road when I struggled to unclip, i just grabbed the rail next to me.

I have noticed how tired they made my legs because of using different muscules.

My advise is to just go for it. Mine have flats clipped into the other side but I'm going to remove them so I can't wuss out

BTW I'm no seasoned pro. I've been off a bike for about 11years and I'm just getting back into it.
  • bought the lidls spd shoes yesterday,got the pedals today, try out tomorrow before hitting the trail (with my face) on Friday :lol: