Mont Ventoux

1892 Posts: 1,690
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
After watching the tour on saturday, as a cyclist Mont Ventoux is a ride that has just got to be done, so I'm thinking of doing it, probably next year now. Has anybody done it? Or does anybody know of a company that organises trips?
Cheers.
Justice for the 96

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I think lots of people here have ridden it. My wife and I have done it twice; once from the east (we were camping in Sault) which is the easiest and last year from Malaucene which is a lot harder. It's a hard climb but you don't need to ride it fast; last year we stopped and had a picnic half way up but then, we're mere tourists and OAPs to boot :)

Don't know of any organised trips but you could take the Bike Bus and get off at Orange which is very near to the Ventoux then camp or B&B somewhere. We were camping the first time 10 years ago but we now use a motor caravan to support our French cycling trips.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
    Thanks for the info Geoff
    Justice for the 96
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Whilst I've not done the Ventoux trip with them, all of the GPM10 trips that I have been on (7 different trips over a 2 year period) were very well organised, with great attention paid to the details, really excellent hotels and food, small friendly groups and all fully supported by dedicated support vehicle(s). I can highly recommend them. As you'll see, their Mont Ventoux trips were all in May this year. http://www.gpm10.com/2009-schedule/
    Cheers Blonde I'll keep an eye out for next years trips
    Justice for the 96
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    if an organised trip doesn't suit, it's easy enough to do by yourself. I hired a bike from the very friendly and helpful people at Location Bedoin when down that way on a family holiday. 30 euros for the day, I think. You just follow the D974 out of Bedoin - it goes all the way to the summit. Well signposted, and the road's in great condition.

Worth a stop at the cafe at Chalet Reynard (6km from the summit) on the way down. Great views and the food is very good.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    www.veloventoux.com are supposed to be good. GPM10 did their 3 trips with Cyclefit. Have a look at the blog on www.cyclefit.co.uk
    M.Rushton
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I can personally vouch for www.veloventoux.com - Craig & Vicky who run it are awesome. Nothing is too much trouble.

As for the Ventoux - as long as you have a compact you'll be fine. Take something warm for the descent though.

I managed 1hr 55 mins (Bedoin side) as a 14st rider. :D
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    I can personally vouch for www.veloventoux.com - Craig & Vicky who run it are awesome. Nothing is too much trouble.

As for the Ventoux - as long as you have a compact you'll be fine. Take something warm for the descent though.

I managed 1hr 55 mins (Bedoin side) as a 14st rider. :D

+1 for veloventoux and the notion of taking something warm to wear. I went up in July and was darn cold on the way down even with arm warmers and a gilet on.
    Thanks for the info chaps, looking into it for next year
    Justice for the 96
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    I took five of my mates to ride ventoux for my stag do... none of them were particularly into cycling before hand, and did varied amounts of training. We had a B&B in Malaucene and hired bikes in Bedoin for the others (I took my own).

Four of us made it up the Bedoin route in mid afternoon in searing heat - my time was 1:48, but the others ranged to 2:40.

Of the two who bailed, one of the rode the Malaucene route a couple of days later in the early morning when it was much cooler.

It really is an excellent climb, and very striking when you come out of the trees!

Nic
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Blonde wrote:
    Whilst I've not done the Ventoux trip with them, all of the GPM10 trips that I have been on (7 different trips over a 2 year period) were very well organised, with great attention paid to the details, really excellent hotels and food, small friendly groups and all fully supported by dedicated support vehicle(s). I can highly recommend them. As you'll see, their Mont Ventoux trips were all in May this year. http://www.gpm10.com/2009-schedule/

I'd be very wary of Ventoux trips as early as May. It could be OK but we were lucky to get a decent day last year late May/early June. For us, the main purpose of the climb is the scenery so it's bit pointless in low cloud.

Something warm for the descent is a very good idea indeed.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    I'm going in a couple of weeks.

I think i'm going to do it at an easy pace first, to make sure I don't blow up. Then, i'll descend, stop off at a cafe or something to recover, then attack it full-force! :twisted:
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    :lol: You never stop do you Bhima. Are you not in Poland at the same time? I would concentrate on getting up once let alone spinning up and then attacking it the second time! :roll:
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Bhima wrote:
    I'm going in a couple of weeks.

I think i'm going to do it at an easy pace first, to make sure I don't blow up. Then, i'll descend, stop off at a cafe or something to recover, then attack it full-force! :twisted:

Why stop at twice up the Ventoux????

Do it three times in the day and you can join the exclusive Cingles du Ventoux
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Another vote here for VeloVentoux. Craig and Vicky were really nice, the accomodation is perfect with good bike workshop and safe storage.

The attacking of Ventoux the second time by Bhima will be interesting, a cadence of 276 all the way to the top I imagine, power meter readings off the charts. I have this mental image of Super Mario Karts, as he spins off the road as he hits strategically dropped banana skins that he left on his first easy spin up...
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • If you hang on a few weeks you can join in with the sportive: http://www.velo101.com/epreuves/routesduventoux/

I did it last year and going back again - great event, 3-400 riders, rolling road closures to the foot of the mountain (its treated as a race, at least by those at the front), choice as to whether you just go up and down ventoux on the short route or over the back for the 150km route. Pasta and Cotes Du Ventoux at the finish. Easily my most enjoyable event of 2008 :)
    If you hang on a few weeks you can join in with the sportive: http://www.velo101.com/epreuves/routesduventoux/

I did it last year and going back again - great event, 3-400 riders, rolling road closures to the foot of the mountain (its treated as a race, at least by those at the front), choice as to whether you just go up and down ventoux on the short route or over the back for the 150km route. Pasta and Cotes Du Ventoux at the finish. Easily my most enjoyable event of 2008 :)

Thanks for the info, my French isn't up to much & could only find how to change the payment page to English.
    Justice for the 96
  • what more do you need to know? :)

really - if you're interested and have questions then im happy to help
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I rode up from Sault and watched the tour on Ventoux last week then the following day rode up from Bedoin in scorching temperatures. Its a great climb. Very hard but that was mainly due to the heat. Its also quite emotional to stop at the Tommy Simpson memorial. Provence was lovely and I'd love to go back and ride there some more.

I don't think you need to pay a company really. Just go for a few days camping somewhere close and get a local map.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Getting in to France at about 4:30 so i'm going to go up it around 7am with a mountain-bike cassette + rear mech the first time and do it as slowly as possible.

Then, i'm going to do it later on in the day, when fully recovered, probably around 5/6 o'clock and give it everything.

It's no different to my normal hilly training loop, in terms of height covered and distance - the only thing that freaks me out is just the relentless nature of it. :shock:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    .........Don't know of any organised trips...........
    Geoff

I was looking at an organised trip a couple of years ago and thought about doing one next year. Had looked at STI/Graham Baxter Tours but nothing came of it, but after reading about all the experiences from hell posted by cyclists on here who had been with them on the Tour d'Etape I would say choose very carefully and certainly avoid STI / GB Cycling Tours.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
    what more do you need to know? :)

really - if you're interested and have questions then im happy to help

I was looking @ doing it next year, not that flush @ mo. Do you book the flights yourself? Do I take my own bike or hire 1? Things like that really.
    Justice for the 96
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    An organised trip really isn't necessary. There are a number of campsites in the area, we booked ours online and in English (Camping les Verguettes, Villes -sur-Auzon). Then trundle across to Bedoin and follow the signs. It really couldn't be simpler.

Carry enough water and slap on the sunblock and the job's done. If you do go early in the morning a warm top for the top and the descent is worthwhile - the wind up there is very strong!
    Cheers, got caught out by the sun on sunday, came back from Donington with a bright pink face :oops:
    Justice for the 96