Kloeden - an enigma

pedalpower
pedalpower Posts: 138
edited July 2009 in Pro race
What an engima Andreas Kloeden is. One of the most talented riders of the last decade, strong in the mountains and the timetrial, and yet constantly prepared to play second or third or fourth fiddle to other riders. I couldn't believe the way he wasn't even talked about in this Tour until Leipheimer dropped out despite beating Lance and Leipheimer in the prologue.
I'd love to know where he stands on the AC versus Armstrong fight. I haven't seen any suggestion from him that was upset with Contador's attack which dropped him (surely the Schleck's would soon have dropped him anyway). He didn't seem to have much time for Armstrong in the old T-mobile days (I remember his angry comments about Lance's suggestions that no-one else trained hard) and then there was the absurd "no more gifts" nonsense from Armstrong in 2004 on the Col de la Croix Fry where Kloeden lost out on a (first and only) stage win and Armstrong and Landis sounded indignant that they didn't let Landis win it.
He'd have some good stories to tell if he ever writes an autobiography, having been so intimate to both camps.

Comments

• Your last sentence concerns me slightly........
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Your last sentence concerns me slightly........
    :lol:
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    pedalpower wrote:
    What an engima Andreas Kloeden is. One of the most talented riders of the last decade
    Maybe, maybe not. It's impossible to tell.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Forget that -- imagine the doping stories he could tell.

Forget the LA/AC catfight, I would like to know about the T-Mobile and Vino's Astana hot sauce.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Bakunin wrote:
    Forget that -- imagine the doping stories he could tell.

Forget the LA/AC catfight, I would like to know about the T-Mobile and Vino's Astana hot sauce.

He doesn't strike me as the kind who'll spill the beans... the omerta is strong in this one
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    Klodi used to keep a diary his website. It was interesting and informative and often controversial. e.g. 'Schumi surprised me' and the story of the rough treatment he received from the French police when the Astana hotel was raided, following Vino getting busted.

His website has been off-line for the past couple of months, which is a shame.

Bruyneel, wasn't keen to have him on the team when he took over Astana, thought he might be trouble. But he certainly seems to have won him, AC & LA over.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,113
    Less of an enigma, more the luckiest man in cycling given that he's evaded justice over his shady past at T-Mobile.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    And still quite young.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,759
    andyp wrote:
    Less of an enigma, more the luckiest man in cycling given that he's evaded justice over his shady past at T-Mobile.

True. But there again, there are probably hundreds of lucky men in cycling.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

True. But there again, there are probably hundreds of lucky men in cycling.

I'd have to suggest he's super mega lucky :roll:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kloedi is a class act for sure. I was tempted to put an each way bet on him this time.

I know what you mean though. It's a shame he's not on a weaker team and gets to riff on his own a bit more. Sure he'd bag a few stage wins that way.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Perhaps he's 'wrapped in a mystery' :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,113
    iainf72 wrote:
    I'd have to suggest he's super mega lucky :roll:

Maybe he has protection from on high? These fellas maybe?

B000002BYJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg