Tyres for a fatty

smifffymoto
smifffymoto Posts: 13
edited July 2009 in Workshop
I'm running on Michelin pro race 3 at the moment and they have cracked.A bloke on my site has suggested I run on tyres that will inflate to 10 bar rather than the 7.5 bar(109 psi) the pr3's take.I know bog all about tyres and need enlightening. :?

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Cracked tyre rubber is due to UV exposure, not rider weight. Unless it is extreme, it has no adverse effect to tyre function. You only need to increase their inflation pressure if you are regularly suffering pinch punctures (= road features pinch inner tube into rim). In that case, consider some higher volume tyres such as 25 or 28mm, depending on what will fit your bike.
  • Thanks for the speedy reply.UV would make sense as it's between 30-34 most days down here in the Pyrenees
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    If you do seriously consider going up to the realms of 10 bar, do yourself a favour and make sure your current wheel rims are capable of those stresses ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the bloke should be ignored - 110psi is easily enough for normal riding. This is especially true if you're riding big descents like you find in the Pyrennes, as the heat build up in the rims will increase the tyre pressure even further.

Oh, if I had £1 for every blowout I saw on the Marmotte.....
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer