Hardrock vs GT aggresor

mb92
mb92 Posts: 12
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Hi again everyone,
I'm looking at two seperate bike and buying second hand, just wondering if anyone can point my in the right direction..

One is a specialized hardrock sport pictured here...
http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/images/prod_3397.jpg

And the other is a GT Agressor 2.0, with a load of deore gear on and disks both front and back... I'm pretty sure that they are both pretty equilly kitted out but I have always rated Specialized as a brand.
I'm into XC/Downhill riding but am getting quite interested in freeride! SO what would be the best bike for me?!

Thanks in advance,
Max.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    None of them - none are Downhill bikes and you will kill them quickly if you attempt DH and freeride riding on them.

However for XC and general trails the GT has a much better spec,
  • mb92
    right, well that's that then...

Basically at the moment I have a Claud Butler Stone RIver, would upgrading to one of these bikes (I'm still swayed towards the Specialized) be a significant improvement quality wise?

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/grfx ... eriver.jpg

Before finding these two bikes I was looking at buying a Planet X dirt jump frame which was on sale in my local bike store (F&J's) for £125.. a bargain really... If i did this i would be using most of the gear off my Claud butler, Crank, cassette, Head stop, Bars, Brakes, Rims etc... would you reccomend i do this or go for one of the above complete setups, both of which i can get for around the £100 mark, also does that sound like a reasonable price/good/bad?
  • supersonic
    I suppose how you define your freeride, DH/jumping etc. You would generally need tougher kit than is on your Claud Butler: the planet X frame is tougher. However the parts may not even fit it.

I'd have to say save up a bit more or look for a proper jump bike or tough all rounder.

The Saracen Mantra is a tough nut. Not a full on DH rig, but a lot better than what you have for it.
  • mb92
    Yeah I really probably should save up, the other bike that may be a possibility would be the Specialized P3?

for £100 either of the above bikes would surely make a pretty good xc/trails bike for consistant use?
  • supersonic
    Sure, for the XC side of things. Aggressor is a lot better than the HR though.

P3 is a great tough nut bike.
  • mb92
    okay then... I'll have a look at the P3 then, it may be that I have to trade it my old bike to get it at a price a can afford. At the moment the guy wants 300 for it, but it's got some awesome kit on it... HAYES hydrolic brakes, HALO rims and a Gusset single speed setup with e-thirteen bash guard, not sure what forks it has on though...