National GHS championship final

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
edited July 2009 in Amateur race
Hey.
I qualified for this from the south. I know the final is up in the midlands around the 12th or 13th of september. does anyone know the course. how serious do the people who qualify take it. do they have disk wheels or aero helmets? (I dont)
thanks

Comments

• bikeboy123
    bikeboy123 Posts: 63
    they'll take it very serious, skinuits, carbon tt bikes, tt lids disc wheels etc etc...
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    at least I have a skin suit and I am getting a tt bike. Maybe I can pursuade my dad to get me an aero helmet. The thing that'll help most is the training I'm doing.
  • bikeboy123
    bikeboy123 Posts: 63
    yep your right, put some of the top guys on a normal road bike and they'de still win...
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Love2ride - there a description of the course here: http://www.midlanddc.org.uk/index.php?q ... se=K33/10D

It starts on a fairly quiet B road which is quite undulating but generally downhill. There's a tight left turn at a very small roundabout and then you're on a minor road for the next 3 miles or so. The road surface on that section is quite heavy to begin with and full of potholes when you go through Salford Priors village. You also have to go through a traffic-calming barrier, but I raced through there twice at the weekend and had no trouble at all. Then left at the next roundabout onto a dual carriageway which could be the fastest section, especially if you get a southerly tailwind. You finish just after the next roundabout. The course is a sort of triangle with each side about equal length.

Some of the fastest guys and girls will have all the kit but not all of them, so don't be put off if you haven't got all the latest stuff. Do you know anyone in your club who might be willing to lend to a helmet? Most clubs would probably try to support someone who is riding the GHS final if you ask for help.

Ruth
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I thought they weren't going to use the K33/10D course Ruth, or was this just for the Nationals next year.

One of the lads from our club has qualified as well, so it would be nice to know for certain which course is going to be used.
  • BeaconRuth
    The course I've described and given a link to is the K33/10D. Not sure why you think it isn't?

Ruth
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    No, I heard on other forums, that it was due to be used for the nationals next year, but due to the traffic calming this wasn't acceptable. I was just wondering if this was the case for the National 10 next year, if they would still use it for the junior Nationals.

EDIT, I have read the GHS Nationals will be changed due to the traffic calming, not the National 10.

I don't know, that is why I was asking, the CTT website shows the K33/10D as the venue, but I wasn't sure if it had been changed due to the traffic calming.
  • BeaconRuth
    Oops, sorry, I misread your post.

You may well be right - they may well have decided to use a different course for the GHS 10 in September and/or the National 10 next year. I've no idea about that.

Sorry, love2ride, you might wanna forget about the K33/10D!

Ruth