How much?

Clum84
Clum84 Posts: 196
edited July 2009 in Road buying advice
I've been kind of kidding myself for ages that my bike fits me properly as it was the size the guy in my lbs said i needed. Pretty much turns out that i could do with the smaller frame as with my legs at full stretch, the seat is barely level with the bars and makes for a very upright riding position.

Anyway to the point of the post. My bikes last years Giant SCR3 in medium and i think my best bet is to sell it and fork out the extra for a new bike with a smaller frame. how much do you think would be a fair price to ask for the Giant? Only done 700-800 miles.

Input appreciated!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Alternately, you could buy a frame of your choice, and get your LBS to swap the parts over - that's what I did when my frame seemed a bit big - lbs only charged me £45 approx - might cost you ~ £60 ish (2 -3 hours work at most). Kinesis and Ribble do some reasonably priced frames. Just another option?
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Second hand value somewhere between half to two thirds of new price, depending on condition of course :wink:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Before you rush into selling the bike, can you remove any of the spacers in the headset to lower the handlebars? :?

If you could post a few pics of how the bike is set-up at the moment, it may suggest whether it is actually too large or not. :D Also, how tall are you?
    Cycling weakly
  • Clum84
    Clum84 Posts: 196
    All the spacers are removed already so there's no lower to go there i'm afraid without fitting a slimmer headset. I'm 5'9 but have fairly short legs for that height so finding a bike to fit has always been a bit of a problem. Wasn't such a issue with mountain bikes though. The only other thing I could think of to do might be to fit a smaller and sloping stem to lower the bars slightly. May still just be worth selling while the bike is only a year old and i can still get a reasonable amount for it. Seems important to get a bike that fits perfectly as being my first road bike, this one is going to dictate whether or not i get really into the sport.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The Giant SCR3 medium is recommended for rider height of 5'7" to 5'10" so the LBS wasn't that far off.
    A stem like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pro_Lite_Pedrosa_Alloy_Stem/5360042932/ which is +/- 6 degrees reversible, may sort you out? Also you mention you are too upright, this would suggest fitting a longer stem, rather than a shorter one, so that you are more "stretched-out" and flatter. 8)
    Cycling weakly