Wind

Paulie W
Paulie W Posts: 1,492
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
Is it just me or has it been windier than usual this summer? It seems more or less every day I'm riding home into a head wind.

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It has indeed been very windy :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just think of it as extra training :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    keeps blowing my ear pieces out of my ears. :evil:

I've had to give up with the MP3 player
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It was windy last summer too. In 2007, it just seemed to be blowin' ol' boots in August.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I can scarcely believe it's July... Oh, wait... I can :(
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    cjcp wrote:
    It was windy last summer too. In 2007, it just seemed to be blowin' ol' boots in August.

it's always windy - and few can ever remember. It's very odd.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    And what's worst, it is always against me! Headwind on the way out, headwind on return. Just done a circular today with pretty much constant headwind :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I confidently predict that the wind will drop considerably at the start of August.

(I'm going sailing for 2 weeks....wind would actually be useful to me....so it'll probably be flat calm. I have that sort of affect on the weather :( )
    Misguided Idealist
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    basically the long range weather forecasters got it wrong again.....

predicted a good summer due to the jet stream or something being in a different place, we had a week or two of nice weather but back to normal
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Porgy wrote:
    keeps blowing my ear pieces out of my ears

I got a set of 'phones that clip on over your ears, they're great for the bike. I've had them on for 5 hour rides with no slippage.

Yes, it's been windy I think. Blowing a right gale here in Belfast the past few days!
    Today is a good day to ride
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    It has been windy, but I don't think it's been any worse than usual.

And I have to say, this year's summer has been a heck of a lot better than last year's. We should all be happy about that!

Maybe we're noticing the wind more because it's not raining... :)
  • geordiefella
    geordiefella Posts: 302
    it got to the stage for me that the wind noise is so bad that i bought in ear headphones (shure e3c). now i can't hear the wind noise and focus on the pedalling. bought a rear view zefal bar end mirror too to keep an eye on whats behind. if i don't have music i have wind noise anyway so i thought what the hell.

i'm sure that just hearing the wind gusts affects the ride too. i keep a better cadence with the tunes on. Mind you, I've come across some crap in my playlist in shuffle mode. I dare not even share it with you for fear of humiliation. :oops:
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    I have the theory that the "whoosh" effect caused by me going so fast in one direction creates a micro-climate wind that is still there when I go home, so thats why the wind is always against me.

Who knows with some chaos theory it could be true
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    It's so windy it blew my wig off, would it help if I change to a Specialized Toupe?

sorry, I think I've said that before