Bike advice.

Richbikes
Richbikes Posts: 18
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi, after doing a lot of my own research I'm still quite confused about what bike I should buy, as I a complete bike novice, (in terms of knowing what is good and bad).

I'm planning to go on a cycling holiday in a few weeks, and need a suitable bike quickly! The holiday route is from north spain to north france (using roads) with a 14 day limit.

I've got a £200-300 buget (hoping to get something inbetween). As I'll be carrying a fairly hefty backpack I probably need to get a hybrid?

Does anyone have any suggestions of the best bikes and the cheapest place to buy them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Your budget is quite low, also I would strongly suggest using a rack and panniers not a heavy backpack.

The Carrera Virtuoso is about the best budget bike.
  • Richbikes
    yer ill probably have to get a rack. Do you think the buget is very limiting? I don't really want to spend to much more as I doubt i'll use it for the rest of the year!
  • Richbikes
    Thanks for the advice, ill probably have to get a rack. Do you think the buget is very limiting? I don't really want to spend to much more as I doubt i'll use it for the rest of the year!
  • Richbikes
    Thanks for the advice, ill probably have to get a rack. Do you think the buget is very limiting? I don't really want to spend to much more as I doubt i'll use it for the rest of the year!
  • alfablue
    Well, proper bikes start at around £250,just about. A road bike would be better (hence Virtuoso) but a hybrid may do (Carrera Subway). Halfords are rarely the first choice, but in this price range these two bikes knock spots off the competition. What if you get in to cycling, go on, you know you want to!

Cheap bikes are very heavy and have poor components that will be unreliable and hard or costly to put right.

It is quite an ambitious tour, 700-800 miles? So fairly high daily mileage for a novice, so a crap bike will make it hell!
  • alfablue
    I would also suggest a good "shakedown" ride, if possible loaded up, before you go - you need to tweak the bike to fit, and discover what bits aren't working or need tweaking, otherwise your first day on tour may end up as a search for a bike shop!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    If you are not going to use it for the rest of the year, could you not rent a better quality bike for the holiday?

OK - you won't own the bike, but the improved quality might help you enjoy the trip more. Just a thought.
  • Richbikes
    Sorry for the mutiple posts! I tried looking for places to rent but there is none in the local area. And none in england that I can find that are cheaper than just buying bike!

I agree the holiday is quite ambitious, but I think we will just do the best we can do and then cheat by using the train if we have to! But we are all fairly fit and training so hopefully it will be alright.

I've seen a Claud Butler Chinook 2008, for a reasonable price. Does anyone know if this bike is decent?