tom simpson's family tree ?

ppauper
ppauper Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
this is probably the wrong forum to ask this, but would anyone know the family tree of the late great Tom Simpson (the late great british cyclist) ?

My mother's mother lived in Seaham, Co. Durham, England and lost her husband (my mother's father) to TB.
She remarried a man called Bobby (Robert) Simpson (now long since dead, who was a coalminer, and by the time I came around had a metal leg as a result of a mine accident and whom I never really knew)
My mother (who like Tom Simpson was born in 1937) used to say that Tom Simpson was
her cousin. Obviously, that would be step-cousin or whatever the term is, but I'd be curious
to know if anyone's got a family tree so I could see what the relationship of my mother's stepfather Robert Simpson to Tom Simpson actually was.

Thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You could see if you can get hold of Barry Hobans wife ?
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Simpson lived and AFIK was born in Haworth in North Notts near the Yorkshire border. That was a mining area so there could be a connection. The comment about Barry Hoban's wife refers to the fact that she was Tom Simpson's widow and married Hoban after he died on the Ventoux in 1967.

Have you tried Wikipedia?

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • ppauper
    ppauper Posts: 3
    Geoff_SS: I did try wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Simpson
    Simpson was the youngest of the six children of coalmine worker Tom Simpson senior and his wife Alice, née Cheetham,[1] and was born in Haswell, County Durham. Tom senior worked at nearby South Hetton Colliery, while Alice ran Haswell Workingmen's Club. After World War II, the Simpson family moved to Harworth in north Nottinghamshire, another mining village, where Simpson grew up and acquired his interest in cycling
    which would be the right neck of the woods, but there's a lot of folks called simpson in that area not all of whom are necessarily related