Crying wolf once too often?

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Hardly a day goes by without a the Met Office issueing a SEVERE WEATHER WARNING or WEATHER WATCH for some part of the UK, and usually all that happens is that we get the usual sort of non-extreme weather.

Is it not time that they discontinued this routine scaremongering and saved their warnings for when there is a real risk?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    well how extreme does it actually have to be to stop you riding? You're talking limited visiblilty or extreme cold basically, and even the cold is managable with the right kit and prep.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I suspect it goes back to '87, when they were caught with their pants down.

These days, they probably err on the side of caution - which in their case means issuing a severe weather warning whenever there is a stiff breeze, or more than two clouds in the sky.....
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    My local forcast for tomorrow is 27 - 32 degrees, squally thunderstorms, humidity 90% or so. I'm going out. :lol:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    They've been needed down here - constant massive downpours. Keep having to bail the boat out - arrrgghhh!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I'm still waiting for this heatwave we're going to have. :(
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • I'm still waiting for this heatwave we're going to have. :(

It happened about 3 summers ago I'm afraid!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    I'm still waiting for this heatwave we're going to have. :(

Wasn't this supposed to be a long hot dry summer for a change :evil:
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    from what i can see the rain clouds seem to be going around in circles, raining down in short heavy bursts. Monday morning at chain reaction cycles they had the sand bags at the ready as i doubt they want a repeat of the indoor swimming pool with bike bits.
  • Cressers
    It's official; the heatwave is off. A 'revised' forcast is for changeable conditions until the end of August.

My gut feeling is the autumn will be earlier than usual and mildly chillier untill after X**s when we have another two month cold snap again.
  • softlad
    what I'd like to know is - if this is all down to 'global warming', why is it just the UK that is getting sh1t weather..?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    softlad wrote:
    what I'd like to know is - if this is all down to 'global warming', why is it just the UK that is getting sh1t weather..?

We're right next to an ocean. Warmer climate = more evaporation = more rain for us.

I was listening to a BBC programme recently about how even the Sahara is getting increased rainfall, and there are parts of the desert which are (slowly) turning green.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Settling down next week,High pressure will build from the south.Thats what my dangly piece of seaweed hanging by the door says :lol:
  • softlad
    johnfinch wrote:
    We're right next to an ocean. Warmer climate = more evaporation = more rain for us.

surely the UK is not the only country with a coastline..?
  • Cressers
    But we are fairly unique in being an offshore european island situated at the eastern end of the atlantic therefore first and most exposed to any low pressure systems drawn here by the coriolis force, that and the artic ice melt has cooled the North Atlantic and the atnosphere above it, helping to draw the jet stream further south.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    softlad wrote:

I have friends in Montreal that are right royallly pi$$ed off with the rain this summer, so it is not only us, and they are not anywhere near a coast.

The question I have is; why is it that every year we complain about the miserable summer and snow in winter?
    If it happens every year then is must be "normal".
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • salsarider79
    salsarider79 Posts: 828
    Yeah I'm getting lovely afternoons, dry, warm, perfect for going out. Except that I'm working evenings this week and just get crappy drizzly rain. At best. Joy to the world. Thank God I have a turbo trainer....
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Global warming does not mean that the climate is forecast to dramatically change in the space of a year or two. We live in the mid-latitude westerlies so we can expect unsettled weather at times, sometimes long times.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    pottssteve wrote:
    My local forcast for tomorrow is 27 - 32 degrees, squally thunderstorms, humidity 90% or so. I'm going out. :lol:

Disgusting - they got it wrong again! It got up to 33 degrees and there was no thunder or rain at all in my little section of HK.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    softlad wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

surely the UK is not the only country with a coastline..?

No, and if you've ever spent anytime on the west coast of France you'll know just how wet it gets there.

Normandy rain.... absolutely horrible :(
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    Airwave wrote:
    Settling down next week,High pressure will build from the south.Thats what my dangly piece of seaweed hanging by the door says :lol:

must find out where my mum put that bag of seaweed. tho how do u get all that info out of a piece of seaweed?
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I took a degree at the university of california.Where i learnt to say "cool man" & tell the weather by looking at sea weed - which is kind of cool man, d'oh see i'm doing it again :lol:
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It was all a government conspiracy to pursuade us to take UK holidays this year and so lessen the amount of cash leaving our credit-crunched economy.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I love the phrase "localised flooding"