Singlespeed chain tension and rear wheel alignment question

davbay
davbay Posts: 60
edited July 2009 in The workshop
Hi,

I recently bought a Specialized Tricross singlecross for my wet rides to work.

When you put the rear wheel back on after removing it there is a horizontal dropout that the hub nuts bolt onto. Depending on how far forward or back you attatch the wheel it alters the chain tension accordingly as the rear sprocket is attatched to wheel. (Sorry if this sounds patronizing!) Also its quite easy to put it on and tighten the wheel to find its not striaight in which case the chain and rear sprocket will wear unneccessarily.

Will a chain tug help with this? - Not sure what they do!!

Other than guaging 'by eye' how do you ensure the back wheel is straight and that the chain is tensioned correctly? I heard there should be 0.5 an inch of travel in the chain up and down from centre.

Please help! For info - I have full mudguards attatched so it makes alignment even more difficult to guage.

Thanks alot in advance.
Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    "Walk" the wheel back until the tension's right. Tighten one nut, and pull the rim towards the other side of the bike. The other nut will move backwards. Tighten that one, loosen the other and repeat until the wheel's in straight and the tension's correct.
  • davbay
    davbay Posts: 60
    Sounds logical - I'll try it next time.

Thanks for the tip.
    Anyone else ride a Schwinn?...