Mini pumps - recommendations

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited July 2009 in Commuting chat
My cr%ppy mini pump from Halfrauds keeps wrecking valve stems, either bending them or (as this morning) snapping the damn things :evil: .

Dunno if it's my rubbish technique or just a rubbish pump - anyone had similar problems, and can anyone recommend a better pump?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I've got a CO2 canister thing for my road bike and a bigger hand punp for my commuter (in my bag

Last time I tried the CO2 thing I sprayed liquid CO2 over my fingers - stung like hell - and completely failed to pump up my tyre.

So in answer

I have no idea.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Any pump that has a hose attachment will be better, this solves the problem (which I have had). I use a Topeak Turbo Morph (there is also a road morph and a mountain morph with a similar design), or get one of the Lezyne's with a hose attachment. For use at home, get a good track pump.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I use a Topeak Mini Morph. Flexi hose prevents valve damage, plus it's actually really easy to use. I was a bit sceptical about the utility of something so small pretending to be a track pump, but it actually works very well indeed.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    edited July 2009
    Are you sure its not the fault with crappy halfords inner tubes instead? I had two which snapped at the valve in the same way (using a Toppeak pump) and havent used them since. The specialized ones are way more durable.
    Oh and before you buy a minipump, the really teeny ones only tend to be good for presta and they're hard work.
    And as mentioned above, a track pump for home use is the way forward :)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I've got a Lezyne Pressure Drive, I like it - the hose is awesome.

And, it actually seems to work at pumping up tyres, unlike many mini pumps I've tried.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    bluecow wrote:
    Are you sure its not the fault with crappy halfords inner tubes instead? I had two which snapped at the valve in the same way (using a Toppeak pump) and havent used them since. The specialized ones are way more durable.
    Oh and before you buy a minipump, the really teeny ones only tend to be good for presta and they're hard work.
    And as mentioned above, a track pump for home use is the way forward :)

Nah - Conti or Spesh tubes

Got a track pump at home. But that's in Aylesbury and I work in London (which is where the bike in question lives). Track pump totally awesome, may use it on the car also 8)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    SecretSam wrote:

Got a track pump at home. But that's in Aylesbury and I work in London (which is where the bike in question lives). Track pump totally awesome, may use it on the car also 8)

Ha, tried that. It works....assuming you want a major work-out that is. Although pressures lower on car tyres, volumes much, much higher. Better to put the 50p in the machine at the garage IMHO.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I don't find using a track pump on a car to be a major effort - it's my normal way of bringing my car tyres up to pressure.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    I have a couple of Blackburn airsticks:

5115.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5115

Easily capable of getting a tyre to 100psi or above with not too much effort, easily enough to get you home anyway, and still provide a reasonable ride.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    alfablue wrote:
    Any pump that has a hose attachment will be better, this solves the problem (which I have had). I use a Topeak Turbo Morph (there is also a road morph and a mountain morph with a similar design), or get one of the Lezyne's with a hose attachment. For use at home, get a good track pump.

+1
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    rhext wrote:
    I use a Topeak Mini Morph. Flexi hose prevents valve damage, plus it's actually really easy to use. I was a bit sceptical about the utility of something so small pretending to be a track pump, but it actually works very well indeed.

+1
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    I use a Topeak Mini G for use on the road and a Track Pump for home use.

The Topeak will get tyres up to 80-90 psi without too much trouble which is enough to get you home or to work (We've also got a track pump at work for shared use)

Mike