First Post & First Question: Frame Size?

sbutler_84
sbutler_84 Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

First of all thanks to all of you for the advice I have picked over the past few weeks through just reading other posts, but I now think I need some specific help on this one.

I'm looking to get an entry level road bike, and the Vitus Razor 2008 on chainreaction looks ideal. However, the largest frame size they have is 54cm, which I feel may be a bit small for me at 6'2"/188cm with a 34"/86cm inseam. The spec really looks the best available for that sort of price range (really don't want to spend much over £350), so would I be able to get a comfortable ride out of a 54cm bike by adjusting various variables such as saddle and handlebar position?

If not, any other suggestions for handy bikes to look at?

Cheers

Comments

• pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    I'd only buy off the internet if you already know that the frame size for the bike you're buying is right.
    You really need to find that same bike in a shop and ride it to be sure.
    You're right in assuming that provided the frame is in the right ball park then adjusting the various control options should fine tune the fit.
    It has to be right in the first place though.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Pickled is right - if you buy it and it doesn't fit you are either stuck with it, or will have to flog it for a loss on Ebay.

Find an LBS that stocks it, and go and try one out. You can always purchase from t'internet afterwards!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    A 54cm frame is way too small for someone who's 6'2 in my opinion, I'm 5'11 and ride a 56cm with a reasonable amount of seatpost and an 11cm stem. To get a 54cm to fit you you'd have a lot of seatpost showing and you'd need a very long stem which would affect the way the bike handles, for your height a 58cm or 60cm would be a better fit, but to be absolutely sure your best bet would be to get yourself down to your LBS and get measured.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    im 6ft 3 and have an XL frame, which i think is a 61cm - it fits perfectly. they told me i was on the top end of L so i went up and it fit well. if that helps.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Never compromise on frame size (although even reputable LBSs will try to sell you something not quite right).

Assuming this frame is normal sizing - ie not compact like Giant/Carrera/Boardman - it would fit someone of my size: ie 5.8 foot.
  • Thanks for the help guys, will be going to LBS to try out frame sizes some time this week, I think 60 cm would be good. Found this site quite handy for anyone else looking to find their frame size: Competive Cyclist Fit Calculator
    Unless the shop have some good second hand deals, I'm going to go with a different Vitus bike from CRC.com, of which they are the exclusive stockists so won't be able to try that exact frame, but it seems like such a good deal I think I'll just bite the bullet then tweak the control options to get a good fit.

Speaking of LBS's, I'm in the Derbyshire/Notts area, the best one around that I know of is in Hucknall, does any body have any other suggestions?
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    I'm 6ft - and half an inch.

I am really happy with my 58 Rouxbaix - 54 seems much too small. but there is no substitute for trying it out.