finished my half marathon!

mea00csf
mea00csf Posts: 558
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Just thought i'd post an update (ok i just wanted to tell the world!) I did my half marathon on Sunday. When i started training over 4 months ago now i wanted under 2h 10m so happy to have completed in 1h 59m 20s, I'm exstatic :D Sub 2hrs feels good!!

Had problems with ITB for a lot of the training and was having physio so to finish it feels like an achievement. Didn't feel the knee pain for any of the run, when i'd finished and stopped for a while then when I started to walk back to the car it started to stiffen up and become sore so don't think i could have pushed any harder really.

Was gutted for some of the top competitors tho, there was a marshal missing at a key turn and lots went over half a km in the wrong direction at around 8 miles. Cost the leading woman (who was in the lead by miles apparently) her first place and £125 prize money and she came in 4th i believe. Many more people had months of training and possible PBs ruined so really gutted for them. Luckily i was far enough back that by the time i got there there was a steady stream of people to follow.

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Great effort! Did my first a month or so back in 1:55, I only had 4 weeks to train for the half (but my knees aren't buggered, yet). Have you any other runs planned in?
    Doing a 10k in November, just to give me the incentive to keep training.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Well done! sub 2 hr is a cracking time!

Ive done a few 10km's (Buba & Asics etc) and signed up for the bristol half marathon.

Im also hoping for a sub 2 hr but think it will be very close. Finished most of my 10kms in 54 mins :)
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    i have just been roped into doing a half marathon as part of helping a friend get fit again.
    i did one a couple years ago and cruised the first few miles at 8 min mile pace then steadily built up to sub 7 minute pace by the end i finished in a time of 1hr:35, well i can barely run sub 7 mile pace for 4 miles now let alone a half marathon.
    the longest i have run since that has been 4 miles, think i have 6 or 7 weeks to train tho.
    my target is to get under 1hr 40 which is totally unrealistic LoL

my legs are more used to pedalling than running these days and i very rarely run

i wish i didnt agree to this and i am not looking forward to running again, but i promised i will do it. i have to do a run once a week now, going to start at an hour run at a gentle pace, then increase by 15 minutes each time. i get my fitness from riding so will just get the running miles in my legs.
    wish me luck arrgghh
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • mea00csf
    cheers, thanks guys!
    J55TTc, you should be good for the sub 2hr. My 10k time was 55mins about 6 weeks prior to the half marathon, i had pushed the training up to being able to run the full distance comfortably in training tho which was a huge psychological boost to KNOW i could do the distance.
    Robcanic, my knees aren't buggered! it's my glutes which were weak which led to bad biomechanics as i started to tire. Went to the physio with buggered knees (or so i thought) and came out with exercises for my bum muscles :oops: :lol:

Going to be joining the local running club to keep the running going and will be doing my second sprint triathlon in a couple of months (really want to beat my previous time of 1h 25m for the 400m swim, 20km cycle, 5km run)

Rhyko, good luck for your race, i'm sure you'll be fine if you've run that fast in the past!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Nicely done!
  • congratulations, that's an awesome time! Do you intend doing anymore now?
  • mea00csf
    yeah probably, but i'm planning on improving my 10k time first. Would like to go sub 50mins (it's 55mins at moment) but still keep up around 15km runs so that i can return to the half marathon distance without too much trouble. Hoping that improving my 10k times will naturally lead to an improved half marathon time
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    well done i think biking 13 miles is hard
    going downhill slowly
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Mea - I reckon it will but do run the 10k distance a few times as you can go a fair bit faster.