Sorry.....I'm out

Nadder
Nadder Posts: 73
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Sure this has been done before but I have had enough, during the week I tend to ride on my own and last night I went out and did one of my 23 mile circuits on mostly quiet back roads, I'm responsible, when a car comes I hug the curb/edge, I don't go through red lights and I follow the road laws so why do people feel the need to swerve towards me (4 chav's in a crappy fiesta) and fly past me literally two inches from my elbow (plank on a ducati in a 30 zone doing about 60 with his knee nearly down) - don't get me wrong I'm not a perfect driver by any means - but if there is anyone else on the roads I at least consider them!!

I makes me want to get home asap and go to the gym instead - this country is so poor when it comes to considering others - I'd like to see one of these people get out/off and face me

anyway sorry for this, but I've had enough - the road bike is going and I'm off to the dirt trails - at least tree's won't swerve at me - sorry guys

Comments

• Nadder
    P.s I live in Salisbury which is pretty much carrot crunching territory i feel sorry for anyone that lives in the city
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Unfortunately, cycling is not in the DNA of the fabric of this society. Having lived in Italy, we are worlds apart sadly. When I lived in Genova climbing mountain passes people would wave and cheer and offer encouragment. Here, its the complete reverse. You see, we are an over populated postage stamp of an island. With, crap roads. Then come the weekend, every one wants a share of these small crap roads. Horse riders, runners, walkers, bikers, car drivers and cyclists....somthing has got to give and that something is normally the cyclist!

DON'T GET MAD...................GET EVEN!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    The only way to change attitudes is to increase the number of cyclists on the roads so we become less of a novelty. I can't help but feel you're doing a disservice to the rest of us by giving up :wink:
  • bobalob
    bobalob Posts: 18
    I did the London to Cambridge ride on Sunday and the majority of drivers were very patient and courteous. However, one psycho in a car was overtaking the cyclists on blind bends on the wrong side of the road. A few miles up the road I caught up with him and suggested he takes it easy or he's going to kill someone. His girlfriend's response was, and I quote "Yeah well you should all be set on fire". Not a lot you can say to that really...
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    If I see some driver airing up behind me I move further out into the road, most people still feel the need to squeeze past me instead of patently waiting. Other day some idiot in a people carrier passed me and literally skimmed me. One day I was happily cycling along, 16mph, side of the road, guy in a people carrier some by beeping his horn? Weird thing is he gave me plenty of space too.
  • Nadder
    Its just frustrating that they feel the need to make themselves felt - why can't they just go around and carry on their journey!

I agree with APIII - in that the more cyclists the better its just that when I'm on the bike my life is in their hands and I trust myself but not them!

Granted most people are courteous but the rest are idiots!

I just want to train in peace!
  • Angus444
    Angus444 Posts: 141
    Nadder wrote:
    Sure this has been done before but I have had enough, during the week I tend to ride on my own and last night I went out and did one of my 23 mile circuits on mostly quiet back roads, I'm responsible, when a car comes I hug the curb/edge, I don't go through red lights and I follow the road laws so why do people feel the need to swerve towards me (4 chav's in a crappy fiesta) and fly past me literally two inches from my elbow (plank on a ducati in a 30 zone doing about 60 with his knee nearly down) - don't get me wrong I'm not a perfect driver by any means - but if there is anyone else on the roads I at least consider them!!

I makes me want to get home asap and go to the gym instead - this country is so poor when it comes to considering others - I'd like to see one of these people get out/off and face me

anyway sorry for this, but I've had enough - the road bike is going and I'm off to the dirt trails - at least tree's won't swerve at me - sorry guys

Nadder, don't give up the road riding. It's what these inconsiderate SOB's want.

I posted my own experience on this forum under 'Near Misses'....shook me up a bit, but I'll still be out there doing my thing.e
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Nadder wrote:
    I'm responsible, when a car comes I hug the curb/edge
    Don't.
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    I have to point out that on a road bike I get a lot more respect from motorists, in my sleep little Sussex town, than I ever did on an MTB. Not sure why, maybe I don't look very steady on my road bike yet.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • Nadder
    whyamihere wrote:
    Nadder wrote:
    Don't.

why don't? I try to make myself small!! Quite difficult in that I'm 6' 5" but hey ho
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Nadder wrote:
    Its just frustrating that they feel the need to make themselves felt - why can't they just go around and carry on their journey! !

Noticed the same thing with the odd Biker - strange considering they're on a Fazer or similar :roll: - feeling the need to blast past at close range :cry:
  • Nadder wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    Nadder wrote:
    Don't.

why don't? I try to make myself small!! Quite difficult in that I'm 6' 5" but hey ho

Various reasons. There's the 'Act inferior & you'll be treated inferior' one. The 'If you're already at the edge you have nowhere to retreat to if things get really bad' one. The 'Most obstructions are at the side of the road' one. And finally, visibility--the 'Pedestrians crossing the road (OK less likely in the countryside) and drivers pulling out of side roads can't see you so well' one.

That's not to say you should be at the other extreme riding miles out from the kerb, there is a happy medium. Easier said than done, I know, to ride assertively when you're not feeling it. I'd also caution that it's not a panacea--I've had a couple of occasions of people deliberately driving close behind & revving threateningly when I've 'claimed the lane', and in cases like that obviously preferred not to call their bluff. A minority of close passes are malice rather than failure to take into account that bikes & cyclists are 3D, but by making yourself more 3D you would be impressing that fact on drivers a bit more.
  • cyclingmev
    cyclingmev Posts: 105
    After a lovely ride out a couple of weeks ago, some young lads in a fiesta (well, let's face it, it's all they can afford when they're still in short trousers) decided to drive ridiculously close and the passenger then tried to push me off. Oh, how i laughed. It should be mandatory for everyone to spend a year (at least!!) cycling on the roads before they can even apply for a licence, then they'd realise how hard it is when cars drive too close (even when you pedal defensively)..I've been contemplating either carrying golf balls, or for more fun, perhaps bouncy balls to throw at the whassacks who drive a little too close for comfort... :lol:
    i like bike
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I get similar myself and it is annoying....very annoying. Always groups of young - idiots.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Nadder
    Just wish one would stop, get out and face me

Grrrr
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I think we've all had our share of discontent on the road from other road users and being "road" cyclists decide it's a price we have to pay, be it right or wrong.

I don't like the close shaves I've had and the disrespect I get from other road users, but i'm f**ked if I'm going to let them collectively force me from persuing my hobby.

I know any number of cyclists are killed every year but so are pedestrians and I'm blown if I'm going to stop walking around either. Everything carries a certain amount of risk.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Nadder
    Fair point - i'm going out tonight hopefully my faith will be restored
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I don't like the close shaves I've had and the disrespect I get from other road users, but i'm f**ked if I'm going to let them collectively force me from persuing my hobby.
    +1. When you think of the number of cars that don't swerve at you during the course of a ride it seems a shame to pack it up for the sake of the 0.001% that does.

Hope tonights ride goes ok!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    +1. When you think of the number of cars that don't swerve at you during the course of a ride it seems a shame to pack it up for the sake of the 0.001% that does.

Hope tonights ride goes ok!

Here here!
    I've been out 3 times this seek and have only had one knobhe@d get too close and that was poor judgement rather than malice. (Mind you, either can get you into trouble). Certainly, assertive riding works - never cower in the gutter - you have a right to ride on the road. I've also found that if I wobble around and look a bit unstable (for example making a meal of putting a bottle back) I get given even more room.
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Nadder
    I don't cower, just keep to my side - its not misjudgement that bothers me - it is the general malice of which I seem to encounter all to often!

Sure i'll survive!!
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Nadder wrote:
    I don't cower, just keep to my side - its not misjudgement that bothers me - it is the general malice of which I seem to encounter all to often!

Sure i'll survive!!

You'll be fine - although it is always a shocker when you realise someone you've never met wishes you bodily harm on the basis of your choice of hobby!
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Nadder wrote:

Sure i'll survive!!

If you're interested in the psychology of why cyclists are treated so dangerously by some motorists try this. http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/ ... cle11.html

It'd be a pity if you gave up. In my experience you need to engage with traffic and be assertive and aware. Take the lane when an overtaker would put you in danger but wave them on when you can see and they can't. Make lots of eye contact in urban situations. Never cower in the gutter, the out group mentality will get you squashed.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    cyclingmev wrote:
    After a lovely ride out a couple of weeks ago, some young lads in a fiesta (well, let's face it, it's all they can afford when they're still in short trousers) decided to drive ridiculously close and the passenger then tried to push me off. Oh, how i laughed. It should be mandatory for everyone to spend a year (at least!!) cycling on the roads before they can even apply for a licence, then they'd realise how hard it is when cars drive too close (even when you pedal defensively)..I've been contemplating either carrying golf balls, or for more fun, perhaps bouncy balls to throw at the whassacks who drive a little too close for comfort... :lol:

It's, strangely, not completely useless to report them. The short trousered brigade might have passed a test (that's MIGHT) but seem to overlook the fact that they've got a prominent, unique number on the rear of the car. I got stuff thrown at me from a Vauxhall Chav GTi, got the reg and reported it to village neighbourhood watch crimeline. Local bobby rang me back, informed me car was traced, driver local, given a caution and next report would be an ASBO.

Seemed more civilised than frothing at the mouth or attempting to duff them up whilst wearing road cleats..........
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Yeah, don't give up!

I hog the entire lane nowadays, 100% the time, regardless of my speed. :| Really couldn't care less if I get beeped. I've stopped caring about motorists now, as they don't seem to care about me one bit. They slow down for horses/slow tractors on the road so you just have to make them realise that you're just as important.

It's up to you as a cyclist to take control of the traffic, don't let it control you. Don't feel guilty about holding anyone up - it'll teach them to actually overtake you properly. At the speeds they're going, you're probably only adding 30 seconds to their overall journey time if you hold them up a bit as they'll just be going at 20mph instead of 30mph for about half a mile, max.

Don't be an idiot though, be helpful and use hand signals to let them know when it's safe/unsafe to overtake if you have a good view of the road etc.