Mystery problem

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Every second revolution of the chain ring I get a little "click" and a momentary feeling as if there is no pressure on the pedals. If you imagine the chain rings being a clock it's as if there is no resistance between 1 and 2 o'clock. My pedals and cassette seem ok as does my bottom bracket with no noticeable lateral movement or wobbles in either. And it only happens every other revolution.
I hope that it's clear what I mean. I could take my bike to the bicycle repair man, but it's hard enough to explain in English, let alone in German (where I live).

Comments

• Wamas
    Wamas Posts: 256
    What type of crank do you have?
    Some older cranks that use cotters develop this if the cotters are worn.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    It could be a stiff link in your chain. Off the bike, try rotating the chain slowly backwards to see if you can spot it. If you do, manually twist the link & oil the chain.
    Cycling weakly
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I have a Campagnolo Chorus bottom bracket with standard cranks (pre Ultra Torque). No cotter pins.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    |Ditto stiff link - unless happening only on highest gear (ie smallest cog) and you have omitted to fit the 1mm spacer between highest and second highest gears - as I did with a Miche cassette recently
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I'm sure you're not stupid but.....

Have you checked you don'd have a rogue front mech cable end catching your crank?

(I found this out the hard way after nearly chucking my bike over the fence in frustration at not being able to find the source of the "click")
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Every second revolution is almost certainly a chain thing - 2 revs in big ring is pretty close to one chain rev. Probably a stiff link as suggested before.