Help! Preperation for Gorrick Enduro next summer! Beginner!

Helen-mtb
Helen-mtb Posts: 112
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Basically... This is my first post and i'm pretty new to this...

I've always wanted to enter a 12 hour endurace kinda race. And after going to soooo many 24 hour races in support of more experienced friends, it's got to the point where myself and a friend are itchingggg to get out there! (Even though half of the Bontrager course took me about 45 minutes this weekend on saturday morning, maybe a little more!!) :oops:

We thought Gorrick enduro would be a good'un? After a year to get a little more serious and confident on (off) the saddle?

I ride a Specialized Myka Elite and haven't changed anything on it.

Any tips on training, fitness/technique? Or anything i should do with my bike/equipment before this time next year?

Thanks Guys! Please post some responses!
Helen x

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Haven't tried anything like this event, but the latest issue of Mountain Bike Action (US mag, but it's stocked by some places in the UK) has an article with tips for 12 and 24 hour races.

The issue is labelled as August.
  • Helen-mtb
    Hmm good plan!

Dont suppose you know where i could head with womens spd shoes? i have noooo idea what i need to buy for clip ins... there seems to be lots of parts and different things. Pedals, cleats, shoes... do they have to be the same make? please dont laugh lol im not up with all this kinda stuff! I think it's about time i invested in some! x
  • GHill
    Clipless pedals comprise of two different parts, the pedal and the cleat. The cleat is attached to the bottom of the shoe and usually a specific brand of cleat will only fit the same brand of pedal.

The good news is that the pedals come with cleats that fit! The cleats can be bolted to pretty much any cycling specific shoe so you can choose a shoe on looks/fit and worry about the pedals later.

Which pedals/cleats are best is very much a personal thing, despite having Crank Bros pedals I would recommend Shimano SPD to someone new to clipless, they seem to be easier to learn on especially if you buy Shimano's multi-release cleats (bought separately from Shimano SPD pedals unfortunately). I will warn you that it's almost inevitable that you'll have a silly "fall over" when you're just starting out with clipless and forget to unclip. Everyone does it and the best you can hope for is nobody to witness it :lol:
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Pedals have to have compatible cleats

Shoes: any that fit well & are MTB shoes if using MTB pedals.

Shimano M520 pedals are a great budget clipless pedal, you can adjust the release tension to make it easier or harder to unclip.

Shoes, you need to go shopping to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) and try loads on as the fit differs from brand to brand.

Just keep on riding & make sure you have rest days between rides, build up the distance slowly
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Helen-mtb
    haha! sounds like this could be interesting!

thank you for that!

i was actually looking at some specialized mtb shoes i likes the look of...and some kind of shimano m520 pedal, and shimano spd-sl something or rather... do i need these 3 things separetly? or just the shoe and the pedal? have i confused myself again lol?

im looking forward to these falls, i have been warned about these! :lol:
  • Helen-mtb
    andy im glad you mentioned something ive been looking at! maybe im doing something right lol! if i buy those pedals, and some mtb shoes i like, is that all i need? sorry to keep on with the Qs!

ooo and i think it's the cleat thing that confuses me...
  • GHill
    edited July 2009
    Yep, the m520s and a set of shoes should be all that you need. Cleats will be in the box with the pedals.

Do you have the tools to fit the pedals? If not, see if your LBS will change them over for free (if you buy the pedals there).
  • Helen-mtb
    Ohh i didnt think of that! hopefully my "LBS" will change them for me! glad it's not going to be as expensive as i thought... £90 i think that's going to come to. Hopefully they will last as ive got sooo much other stuff i need to update on!

lights are going to be an expensive neccessity... not that ive even starteddd looking at those yet!
    and i already want a new frame!
    not to mention new glasses and new shorts haha!

Anyone else figure that mountain biking takes alllll their time and money lol?
  • GHill
    Helen-mtb wrote:
    Anyone else figure that mountain biking takes alllll their time and money lol?

Yep. :lol:
  • Helen-mtb
    haha good! glad im not the only one!
    my interest in mtb seemed to gradually increase, then rocket over the past months lol!
    sorry bank balance!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Helen-mtb wrote:
    i was actually looking at some specialized mtb shoes i likes the look of...
    Good shoes, I have a pair of their Sport BG shoes which are superb, you don't need to spend loads to get set up with clipless pedals, M520's (£20 here: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=81) & about £30-£40 on shoes.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Helen-mtb
    ooo wow thank you! im probably going to go for those pedals, as they're cheap and a few people have suggested them to me now... and after looking on that website i might try out the shimano M076 shoes... those pedals seem like a winner though!

hopefully be getting myself set up with clipless for under £ 70 by the looks of things! nice!

thank you for your help, friendly little community here!
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Helen-mtb wrote:
    ooo wow thank you! im probably going to go for those pedals, as they're cheap and a few people have suggested them to me now... and after looking on that website i might try out the shimano M076 shoes... those pedals seem like a winner though!

hopefully be getting myself set up with clipless for under £ 70 by the looks of things! nice!

thank you for your help, friendly little community here!

my first m520's I got for £20 then £25 for a pair of Scott MTB shoes both off Ebay. £45 for the lot. Bargain.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS