Does it really matter to use the correct speed chain?...

Baron_Oso
Baron_Oso Posts: 3
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello guys:

Hope you can help me with this one... I just purchase a Specialized FSRxc MTB that has a 9 speed CASSETTE FREEWHEEL, but the chain start to fail, it was not running smoothly but in some links they are stuck, so it makes my pedaling skip a lot. We were not able to go to the dealer so looking into my spares I found a new 8-speed chain, we just cut it to the same size as the oroginal 9-speed and repalce it. It is working really great, I can not tell any difference or find any issue, so my question is if by using the 8-speed chain will I damage my MTB? and if there is no difference, why do the dealers make a difference and also the box of the new chain clearly says "Only for 7-8 speed"?...

Thanks for your advices guys, just want to learn from people with experience.

Beto

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There can be some consequences with the cassette and chainrings and gear shifting. Hard to tell as so many combos - if it works then ok, but I would not recommend it.
  • Baron_Oso
    Baron_Oso Posts: 3
    Hello Supersonic...

Thanks for the advice, will keep and eye on my bike but will take it to the dealer in about 2 weeks.

Any other comments/advice are welcome.

Beto
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    I did the same a few years ago and it caused a number of problems with shifting etc.. A 8 speed chain is thicker than a 9 speed, but give it a try round the block and if it doesnt feel right, bite the bullet and get a cheap 9 speed chain