Carrera vulcan

bazzafranklin
bazzafranklin Posts: 4
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all new to the forum and MTB, i have just recieved my carrera vulcan 09 picked it up from Halfords tonight and was very impressed, it looks great and rides very nicely especially as it must be 15 years since i was last on a bike! i went for a short ride with my mrs tonight to ease back into it and just went 5miles on a slightly hilly route and the bike was great all bar the front derailler (spelling?) struggling to move the chain on the front sprockets and also knocked the chain off totally, jamming up and deeply scratching my frame, the bike was built and inspected by Halfords for me as part of the service, so my question is as this has either been set up wrong by halfords or is a defect on the derailler should the frame be repaired/replaced by Halfords

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does sound like poor adjustment - though occasionly they can derail accidently.

However bikes do bed in from new, and do require further adjustment. But the derailer limit stops should prevent the chain from derailing off.
  • hi supersonic thanks for the advice, i will call them in the morning and see what they say, im just a bit gutted as the bike looks awesome
  • xand_xand
    xand_xand Posts: 271
    grt bike chap - get it back to Halfords and see what they have to say.....post back here and update us all wont you
    MY CUBE
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • BazQuirk
    BazQuirk Posts: 17
    hi bazza, been eavesdropping here for a while now but your post prompted me to join the forum proper.

i got a vulcan 2008 a couple of months ago and had similar problems with the front derailleur. sometimes wouldn't drop to the granny ring and occasionally falling off altogether. i thought about taking it back to halfords but wasn't hopeful that they'd correct it having got it wrong in the first place, plus i wanted to learn how to tweak it myself.

anyway, found a load of good vids on youtube. i followed the instructions in the one below and it fixed mine a treat. no more probs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngm6dr-1na0

good luck.
  • hello everyone i took the bike back last night and they are going to replace it, i've just gotta wait a few days but thats no big issue as i still have saddle sore! :x on that subject does any one have any tips how to avoid this ie padded shorts or a different saddle?
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    either a gel saddle cover, or getting padded shorts there are plenty of types around you;ve just got to find the ones that suit you. I'd get shorts over a saddle cover though.
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    It takes a while to get used to the saddle again after a number of years off the bike anyway. Padded shorts are good for longer rides but you'll find that you just don't get as sore after a few weeks anyway.
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    spend most of ure time off the saddle but that is the way of the downhiller