Richmond Park Time Trial

wjws
wjws Posts: 140
edited August 2009 in Amateur race
The London Dynamos are organising two pilot time trials in Richmond Park, London, on Sunday 9th August and Sunday 23rd August. The events will be held over an undulating 10.4 mile course and are open to all. Further details can be found here:

www.cyclingtimetrials.co.uk/Home/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

If successful, it is hoped that the club will get approval to hold a series of events in 2010.

Comments

• surista
    surista Posts: 141
    wjws, txs for sharing - I might try that out. Certainly the Sunday dates work better for me that weekdays...

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster"
    http://blue-eyed-samurai.com/cycling/
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    Is that it? Just one reply in 23 hours?

Having sniped at the Dynamo before for not pulling their weight when it comes to promoting events, I'm delighted that they have responded with something fresh, innovative and democratic. I've already entered Open TT's on both days so I'm prevented from taking part, but I wish them every success with this important development (success... who I am kidding, it will be over subscribed)

Maybe the OP would get a more enthusiastic response by cross posting in Road Race?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Well done Dynamo for getting this trial going. My entry is in the post.

The details are also posted on other forums (time trialling and my club website incl.) so I'm sure they will be masively over subscribed. If their own park ride participants all ride that is most the field full!

I hope it all runs smoothly.
  • MkyDPky
    MkyDPky Posts: 39
    entry is waiting on the hall table to be posted tomorrow. ride in the park a lot and participated in triathlons but will be my first TT.

i know that richmond park is undulating but would anyone know roughly what the final time on this would compare to a regular 10M TT?

thanks
  • wjws
    MkyDPky wrote:

i know that richmond park is undulating but would anyone know roughly what the final time on this would compare to a regular 10M TT?

As its 10.4 miles and a "sporting course" which gains height (due to the final run in from Robin Hood Gate to Pen Ponds), I think you should add at least 120-150 seconds to a normal 10 time.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My entry is in the post for the 23rd - about time I broke my time trial duck.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Seems like a great idea. I'm about to send of entry for both so anyone worried about coming last can relax.

Don't know what to put down for anticiapted 10M time?
    Would 62-63 mins for 3 laps equate to about 29 mins?
    exercise.png
  • surista
    Will be my first time trial. I barely broke 30 minutes on a 10-mile time trial course on my computrainer that was pancake flat, so I think 35 minutes for this course will be a decent challenge.

Also hope to do both, so TheStone, might see you there <g>

• colmcq2
    colmcq2 Posts: 12
    As long as I have a good night's sleep and don't get woken up by my flatmates having a drug-fuelled party outside my bedroom I reckon I should do OK; forecast looks like slight easterly wind, which is perfect. I'm majorly up for this and hope to get a sub 25min time

with tactics thusly:

hold 26mph till beginning of drag up sawyers hill
    hold 22mph till sharper climb to richmond gate then big push
    floor it from richmond gate to kingston gate and get av speed back to 25-26 mph
    hold 22 back from kingston gate to richmond gate, est av speed at richmon gate 23.5 mph
    bury myself at maximum down sawyers hill watching out for stray deer av must reach 25 by roehampton gate
    hold 26 mph to robin hood gate
    pray for the finish, possibly crying when crossing the line.

I was going to have a run through later on tonight 8pm if anyone's up for it -on the proviso that it doesn't rain- it's thursday 3.30 as I type this.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Doesn't it turn in towards the middle before Robin Hood's Gate, taking you uphill for the final half mile or so?! Let us know how you get on tonight anyway, I'm away this weekend but will be doing the tt on 23 August, looking forward to it.
  • surista
    Only way I'd 'hold' 26mph is if I was holding on to a passing car...

• wjws
  • colmcq2
    the rain has arrived on cue. Might do an hour FT instead.
  • TheStone
    There's a £25 prize with my name all over it!!!!

Weather looks good. Warm (ish) and low wind.
    exercise.png
  • surista
    Dude, that £25 you talk about is so mine -

• colmcq2
    tried it this morning. perfect conditions, but legs felt like they'd been immersed in concrete over night. bailed after 10 mins; if I feel like this on sunday i'll be lucky to make it in under 30mins

edit:

lantern rouge could be mine. as i type this I am exhausted. this sucks.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    By the looks of the startsheet there's a number of n/a club affliations so I guess it will be a first TT for many.

Good luck to you all.
  • TheStone
    Yep, first TT for me. Riding normal road bike as tri bars didn't turn up in time.
    Will be well pleased to go under 30 mins (should be below 32).
    exercise.png
  • TheStone
    Really enjoyed that. Great conditions and very well run.

Felt like I was going good, but only managed 31:50. Might have tri bars for the 23rd and try to wake up in time to have some breakfast!

Hope this becomes regular event.

...... now what does one do with a Sunday when you've finished your ride by 8:30?
    exercise.png
  • MkyDPky
    MkyDPky Posts: 39
    great ride, first TT and got 29.01, pretty pleased with a course like that.
    well run by London Dynamo, congratulations!
    Hope it becomes a regular!
  • colmcq2
    perfect conditions alright, shame I got up at 3.15am for no reason so I think my 26.38 is OK considering. Should get sub 25 no probs next time if sleep properly.

c
  • wjws
    The results will be up here: http://www.cyclingtimetrials.co.uk/ very shortly.

Photos of the event can be found here:- http://dodsworld.ifp3.com/site/#/galler ... 59-approx/ (note there are several pages for each set of numbers 1-59, 60 to end etc)