Euro Star - taking a bike on

tebbit
tebbit Posts: 604
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
I used the Eurostar on Sunday, the bloke on the checkout was really unhelpful, "you can't take the bike on the train, safety". Went to dispatch, cost me £20, the bike was on the train before I was, really friendly and helpful.

The lads at the other end were equally as good, so dispatch highly recommended, check in abysmal.

Comments

• Clum84
    Clum84 Posts: 196
    I always phone ahead to dispatch and book my bike on. Have found them really helpfull at both ends as well even if the office is a bit hard to find in Paris. Bike's always come back to me without a mark on it as well!
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
  • tebbit wrote:
    I used the Eurostar on Sunday, the bloke on the checkout was really unhelpful, "you can't take the bike on the train, safety".

Was the bike bagged or unbagged? Bit worrying if the former, as bikes are *just luggage* if packaged according to Eurostar rules. If the latter, then it's good to know it's possible to get them on without reservation, but generally IMHO I'd still prefer to stick a bag round it and avoid the £40 return charge.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Unbagged, caught the train from Liverpool to London and then London Paris, work in Paris, hence taking the bike for commuting and leisure