fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
edited July 2009 in MTB general
i'm getting my own shed to be used as a workshop

5019804710423001iv001zp.jpg

height - 7ft
width - 6ft 5in
depth - 10ft

cost is £484

i hope to store my future 3 bikes my currently prized and cherished banshee x the road bike i am soon to buy and a jup bike, also i hope to be putting a 2nd hand sofa in there and a work bench, will all this be suitable, my dad has secured means of suplying power so i can bumg my laptop in there and fill it full of power tools from lidl :)

is it worth it?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Just remember some decent security to keep you bikes safe.

A Shed Shackle & decent lock(s) should do the trick.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    An old bus will be bigger and cheaper ;-)
  • fourcrossjohn
    only problem is getting in ithe garden if i choose the bus lol

i will be getting a deadlock 4 bar door lock with industrial padlocks top and bottom
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Could pose a security problem.

What is the shed being mounted on? If soil, consider digging a hole and fill it with concrete and some sort of ground anchor arrangement (may have to cut a hole in the wooded floor), and get some seriously expensive chain and locks such as Almax sell. Do not rely on the shed door/windows/roof/walls as being secure, thefts from sheds are very common.

Consider a security light aimed at the shed with a pir sensor.

I can't see that the dimensions would allow much sofa room as well as serving as a workshop.
  • alfablue
    only problem is getting in ithe garden if i choose the bus lol

i will be getting a deadlock 4 bar door lock with industrial padlocks top and bottom
    If its a wooden shed the door will be ripped off regardless of padlocks.
  • fourcrossjohn
    hmmmm good point,

well we have a dog so by time thief is up the garden i will be there iwth a baseball bat or my hockey stick, and my dad is fitting a new gate which has a good bit of height , so in total 2 side gates at home.
  • alfablue
    A dog could be the best security

Also, if you have a shed that has lots of obvious security on the outside it could be even more of a target - suggests treasures within!
  • fourcrossjohn
    in the same garden will be a shed of similar size full of gardening tools and a 20x14ft carpwnter shed my dad bought for spare time, i know where the thieves will look, 2 saws will be worth more than all my bikes :S
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Thanks for telling us all fourcrossjohn! Now we can all go up, steal many thousands of pounds of wood-tools, and a few nice bikes too :wink:

Seriously, I wouldn't advertise keeping bikes in a wooden shed... If the theives can't get into the shed (it's only wood, so cuts VERY quickly with battery-powered saws), they may just burn it down, out of spite...

But I like the idea!

You thought of the ISO containers?

20dry.jpg

They can be had surprisingly cheaply. Are water-tight, easier to secure than a shed and potentially larger too.

Just a thought!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • starkee
    starkee Posts: 143
    pssst.......fourcrossjohn....No good fitting expensive padlocks, when the hinges are exposed on the outside...as you only need a screwdriver for silent access :wink:
  • fourcrossjohn
    dog makes alot of noise
  • borderboy
    borderboy Posts: 161
    If you want a bit more security put some electic cables through the uprights all the way around your shed, for your plugs and lighting that you will be needing :wink:
    Then fill between studs with itchy rockwool this also clogs saws etc. Screw 12mm ply to the inside and put more wires on top of the ply make sure you put lots of different feeds high and low plenty of cable clips and don't use any circuit breakers (rcd mcb's) make sure you alarm the door and window very noticably and when you erect the shed put the window and door facing your house so a rear entry would be out of sight (oh er ) block off your window from inside so that a blind side entry is a must when they start cutting through watch for the sparks.

This will cost a few ££££££ but the theiving scum might get more than he bargined for. On the other hand you have a warm shed and you can screw anything to the ply minding the cables of course!!!!!
    Its all up hill down here
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    dog makes alot of noise
    I know a dog owner whose dog started barking in the middle of the night & the owner ignored the dog, only to find he'd had his garage broken into the next morning...
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ground anchor + big chain is the only security worth using on a wooden shed. Alarm might be worth considering depending on your area. But it's just never worth fitting a security device that's stronger than the building you're trying to secure. A mate of mine made his big shed secure, by building a steel cage inside it, quite impressive. But I think easier to secure the individual items.

Oh, also, people will say "A good lock is a deterrant". Load of RUBBISH, unless it's an otherwise secure building a good lock is an advertisment- "there's something valuable in here!"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ad of course, invest in an alarm system. Mine would have lots of whirring flashing lights, to really disorient them.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd personally rather have a ninja than a dog...

No windows obviously and re-inforce the entire thing, perhaps get some decent insurance.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    i'm getting my own shed to be used as a workshop

5019804710423001iv001zp.jpg

height - 7ft
    width - 6ft 5in
    depth - 10ft

cost is £484

i hope to store my future 3 bikes my currently prized and cherished banshee x the road bike i am soon to buy and a jup bike, also i hope to be putting a 2nd hand sofa in there and a work bench, will all this be suitable, my dad has secured means of suplying power so i can bumg my laptop in there and fill it full of power tools from lidl :)

is it worth it?

look on ebay chap fot gsm dialers. search for a shop caled slont car aduio they sell them read about them as there wat i would connect up to a shed if i ahd one. ya will catch any fooker that trys to brake in if your near by or ya just ring a mate
  • Thermo1
    Thermo1 Posts: 75
    in the same garden will be a shed of similar size full of gardening tools and a 20x14ft carpwnter shed my dad bought for spare time, i know where the thieves will look, 2 saws will be worth more than all my bikes :S

They can't ride away on a saw.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I'd personally rather have a ninja than a dog...

Or an anteater....
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    How about fitting a uber powerful strobe light to a motion sensor??? Not to try and kill them if they are epileptic, but to just disortientate them. It's really hard to see anything if he stobe is flashing fast, and is quite bright!

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Thanks for telling us all fourcrossjohn! Now we can all go up, steal many thousands of pounds of wood-tools, and a few nice bikes too :wink:

Seriously, I wouldn't advertise keeping bikes in a wooden shed... If the theives can't get into the shed (it's only wood, so cuts VERY quickly with battery-powered saws), they may just burn it down, out of spite...

But I like the idea!

You thought of the ISO containers?

20dry.jpg

They can be had surprisingly cheaply. Are water-tight, easier to secure than a shed and potentially larger too.

Just a thought!

My old neighbour bought one of those to store his motorbike in - he cladded it in wood and put a pitched roof on! You'd have never known it wasn't a proper wooden built structure from looking at it. He was a cnut though.
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Joe_Pineapples Posts: 1,718
    I love my shed.
    It's developed a bit since the pics were taken, it's grown a workbench with a bloody great vice, a bearing press and a workstand, but you get the picture.

http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=643&from=Find
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    windows are a weakpoint,, if you can board them up or get a makeshift shutter for them...

google shed shackles and invest in at least one or more if you can afford it.
    (one for each bike would be wise) then a decent lock and chain again look on torqs site (shedshackle) or almaxsecurity....

as for the hinges yes they can be unscrewd but not if you coachbolt them and threadlock the nut on the back....
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    adb1006 wrote:
    He was a cnut though.

Epic!!! :lol::lol:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    I could kick through the side of that in seconds, you want a metal shed with no windows and a concrete filled internal floor, windows are the weak points and once you are in it's easy to kick the door out from the inside.

Wood is a joke that will not protect you from anything but the laziest of thieves.

Dogs are often easily occupied by an enthusiastic hello and pat on the back, they think it's a game, this is true of some of the most territorial and well trained ones, you would be suprised.

I only know this because I used to be in security btw .
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    not exactly a stealhty aproach though is it kicking the side of the shed in... i know it could easily be done but how many pepole would hear you..
    then be prepared to be hit with a baseball bat or hocky stick..
  • Joe_Pineapples
    scotto wrote:
    I could kick through the side of that in seconds

My burd would f**king kill you just for waking her up.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OK then, crowbar it, makes very little noise (and nothing that most people will identify with a breakin)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Joe_Pineapples
    Look, if someone can get past whatever security precautions I take, then there's not a lot else I can do, that's what insurance is for.

If I can slow a casual thief down then I consider my security precautions to be up to scratch because, as you have pointed out, a determined or professional thief will get in no matter what I do, realistically.

I'm certainly not going to stick a steel container with a concrete floor and a ground anchor at the bottom of my garden. It's only a bike.