Any advice on upgrades for rockhopper comp?

J55TTC
J55TTC Posts: 224
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Had my '09 rockhopper comp for a little while now and wondered if there was anything recommended for upgrade.

The pedals seem a bit cr4p for starters but whats a good replacement. Dont need clips just flat pedals.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Basically, the bits you're unhappy with :wink:

Pedals are a good start, Wellgo MG1 have a very good rep but I found them a little on the small side (size 13 clown boots).
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    Cool, thanks!

I was thinking of trying to save a bit of weight, are carbon handlebars really worth it? If so recommendations?

Edit ** Ive noticed that the current handlebars turn slightly upward (outer of your hands turn upwards slightly). Id prefer a flatter handlebar if you know what I mean.

Cheers!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    The easiest place to shed weight is often the wheels, it's also the most noticeable difference as you'll have less rolling resistance. I don't know about your wheel spec, but a new set of folding tyres would probably give your the biggest weight saving for your money.
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    The weight of the wheels isn't particularly related to rolling resistance (rolling resistance is due to the energy losses that occur between your tyres and the ground). Though it does take more torque (energy) to accelerate a heavier wheel than a lighter one. So weight saved on wheels will save you more energy than weight saved elsewhere.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    J55TTC wrote:
    I was thinking of trying to save a bit of weight, are carbon handlebars really worth it? If so recommendations?

They're usually pretty expensive, can be fragile (probably not as bad as their rep) and you might not end up saving that much over a good alu bar. That said they can also be strong, light and take away some of the trail "buzz".

Have to agree with the others that looking at the wheels/tyres is the best place to start. Tyres with folding bead (sometimes advertised as kevlar) would be an excellent place to start. Perhaps HighRollers with a 2.1 width?
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    Wheels, Tyres & Chainset all day long!
    So Far!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Pedals to start, the mg1's are relatively cheap, silly light, and a hell of a lot better than the rubbish stock ones.

Then think about what is slowing you down the most, brakes, wheels tyres forks, and replace as necessary.