Carlos Sastre - MUCH respect!

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2009 in Pro race
While Sastre may not have been that great this year, and he did lash out when things went wrong at first, he's shown he's man enough to admit his mistakes. That takes guts and integrity.

http://www.velonews.com/article/95932

Excerpt:
“For various reasons, despite believing that I’d come to this Tour in excellent physical condition, in a good frame of mind and well-prepared, the truth is that I’ve felt something was wrong since the beginning; things weren’t going as I’d expected. I tried to pull myself together and perhaps I made the mistake of becoming too absorbed in myself and taking my problems out on others.

“When I was in a bad frame of mind I made the mistake of speaking to the media in a press conference that was called by the team on the second rest day, at which I voiced some fairly tactless opinions.

“Regardless of my professional opinion of each journalist, I made the mistake of generalizing in my criticisms when not all journalists and not all cyclists are the same. There are many professionals and journalists who have always treated me well, to say the least, especially during and after my victory in the 2008 Tour...

“So having got over the mood I’ve been in for the last few weeks, I’d like to publicly apologize (regardless of any private apologies I might make) to the media, my teammates and all the fans who I’ve let down.”...

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Class act.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    What a guy. Always been one of the more thoughtful riders out there, takes guts that.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • donrhummy wrote:
    While Sastre may not have been that great this year, and he did lash out when things went wrong at first, he's shown he's man enough to admit his mistakes. That takes guts and integrity.

Excerpt:
    “For various reasons, despite believing that I’d come to this Tour in excellent physical condition, in a good frame of mind and well-prepared, the truth is that I’ve felt something was wrong since the beginning; things weren’t going as I’d expected. I tried to pull myself together and perhaps I made the mistake of becoming too absorbed in myself and taking my problems out on others.

“When I was in a bad frame of mind I made the mistake of speaking to the media in a press conference that was called by the team on the second rest day, at which I voiced some fairly tactless opinions.

“Regardless of my professional opinion of each journalist, I made the mistake of generalizing in my criticisms when not all journalists and not all cyclists are the same. There are many professionals and journalists who have always treated me well, to say the least, especially during and after my victory in the 2008 Tour...

“So having got over the mood I’ve been in for the last few weeks, I’d like to publicly apologize (regardless of any private apologies I might make) to the media, my teammates and all the fans who I’ve let down.”...

You mean like apologizing to Sastre and assigning Frankie Andreau as your designated Versus interviewer?

Hardly deserves it's own thread.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    ...and jackhammer's grumpy sniping hardly deserves posting twice :wink:
  • ...and jackhammer's grumpy sniping hardly deserves posting twice :wink:

It's neither grumpy nor sniping but I am sorry about posting it twice.

Seems I recall deleting a post before but can't figure out how to do it now.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    donrhummy wrote:

Excerpt:

You mean like apologizing to Sastre and assigning Frankie Andreau as your designated Versus interviewer?

Hardly deserves it's own thread.

Actually, this is a rare thing in the sporting world and I think it is a good thing and a good example for young athletes. And while I have no idea why Lance chose Frankie, yes, his apology to Sastre/Vandevelde, etc was a classy move that he did not "need" to do and would NOT have done in the past. It showed maturity/growth on Lance's part.

And in a cycling world where there's a LOT of doping threads, I actually think it's nice to read about something like this instead for a change. Just my opinion. :)
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Jackhammer do you have to turn every thread into pro Lance propaganda?

You're as bad as the haters.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    dulldave wrote:
    Jackhammer do you have to turn every thread into pro Lance propaganda?

You're as bad as the haters.

he is worse, for example see here - http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=2246
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Oh dear, what a low life.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If he misbehaves here, then we'll sort it as neccesary. Dunno where the usual roadie mods have gone!

But I see no wrong doings here.