New Bike For 6 Year Old

2»

Comments

• Hi
    I am new to this community
    i want to know about this type of bike.
  • Took her out again at the weekend and she was definitely enjoying it more and more, flew up a huge hill that she failed to climb on the old single speed. Still needs more practice and choosing the correct gear (she went up the hill in first and could probably have dropped to 3rd). Also needs to remember that she can only change gear when pedalling.

Unfortunately the hill she climbed up, her little bro came off on the way back down (with me sprinting after him shouting "BRAKE"), really lucky to be honest, must have been doing 15mph when he face planted and just a minor scratch on his hip.
  • new to this site and also have big headache on first bike choice. I have 2 boys, 5 and 3 1/2 at Christmas, and both are getting first bikes. i have narrowed the brands down to
    islabikes cnoc 14 and 16, but a bit pricey
    Ridgeback mx 14 and 16, but 16 2" too big for eldest (currently... he may grow)
    specialized rockhopper 14 and 16, but I don't like the coaster brake
    Any thoughts , comments, observations, advice and opinions gratefully accepted
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    flinster wrote:
    new to this site and also have big headache on first bike choice. I have 2 boys, 5 and 3 1/2 at Christmas, and both are getting first bikes. i have narrowed the brands down to

Factor in resale value of Islabikes after 2 kids have grown out of them and then compare the real cost of less expensive bikes. Plus the previous comments about their weight c/w many other makes, esp. the cheaper ones.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • flinster wrote:
    new to this site and also have big headache on first bike choice. I have 2 boys, 5 and 3 1/2 at Christmas, and both are getting first bikes. i have narrowed the brands down to

After living with the bikes for a while I wouldn't hesitate spending the extra.

The cnoc 16 we have is brilliant, we went out with the kids cousins a while back (one on a cheapo halfords thing), she was crying and complaining because she just couldn't keep momentum, let her have a go on our isla and instantly changed, riding along and loving it.

To be fair the halfords thing probably had too short cranks that wasn't helping, but things like that isla know how to get spot on.

I am sure like I did you will look around for a while and compare the spec etc. but at the end of the day if you are going to go on recommendation, most people "in the know" will say islabikes.
  • I was hoping to support a local bike shop and get the Ridgebacks but I am erring towards the islabikes, just because of the huge amounts of positive things people have to say about them
  • My daughter has a Ridgeback Honey (same as MX14) and its a great little bike.Good quality,light,and things like the brake levers are easy for lite hands to operate.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Ridgeback all the way!
    great well constructed bikes and relatively light
    usually cost £140 new but can pick them up on Ebay for £50-70 second hand
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • I'm getting really excited reading this thread, my son (5 in september gone) has a beinn 20 small _ it's hidden in the neighbours garage waiting for santa to drop it in in a couple of weeks, Having got the upgrades namely mudgaurds, rack and bottle holder It came to a whopping £270 delivered, We aint rich and we have had to save really hard to afford it.

The thing that swung it for me was all the positive reviews I've seen, I agree regarding the build and general quality of Islabikes. I'm sitting here with a daft smile on my face. I recall taking his stabilisers off on the wednesday and him doing a 10 mile ride the following Sunday, that was on his current bike that is falling apart.

I aint got any brand loyalty but can recommend Islabikes.
    This a photo of him on his first bike just after his 3rd birthday - he wore through the original back tyre, for me the joy of him on our cycling adventures are worth every penny :D
    robert004a.jpg[img][/img]
  • Ive got a Beinn 20 Large sitting in my sisters for my young fella-Hes 6 the day after Xmas Day.It got to me here in here in the Green And P(l)easant Land in 7 days like they said it would.I am extremely impressed with it,and with Islabikes service.when I saw what was on offer in the shops here,where nearly everything is ridiculously overpriced junk,the decision was a no brainer.Looking forward to putting up a post after Xmas...