Aero Wheels

mrc1
mrc1 Posts: 852
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
I daren't post this on one of the road forums for fear of being overloaded with "data" about wattages and god knows what else.....

Basically I lap Richmond Park at around the 18-18.5 minute mark on Mavic Aksiums and wondered what sort of timing difference a pair of aero wheels would make (for example something with a 50ish mm profile eg Zipp 404)?

I'm not looking for specific numbers but just a rough estimate to help me work out whether they are worth the outlay - I have managed to get an elite entry in the London Duathlon and figure that if they save me 30 seconds over a lap it will be worth it but it wont be worth it if i save 5 seconds.......
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Want. Zipp. 404s...

I circle RP on rims with a similar aero profile (Aksiums on commuter, Ksyrums on others) and would be interested to know also. IP aka Jash has Fulcrum Racing zeros and Ffwd deep section carbon jobs. Wonder what the difference round RP is.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Are you aware that they cost a fortune? I suppose it doesnt matter much seeing as you adding a Ciocc to your fleet.

The thing is that Zipps are tubulars and unless you are going to race properly I don't think it is worth it to buy something like that.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mrc1
    Yeah I REALLY want to be sure that they make an appreciable difference as aero wheels are stupidly expensive!!

I suspect they would be at their most useful on the run from Robin Hood to Roehampton Gates as that is just head down and flat out but I await Jash's comment, otherwise I will have to brave the the Road boards.......

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    Want. Zipp. 404s...

I circle RP on rims with a similar aero profile (Aksiums on commuter, Ksyrums on others) and would be interested to know also. IP aka Jash has Fulcrum Racing zeros and Ffwd deep section carbon jobs. Wonder what the difference round RP is.

All I'm gonna say is that I've lapped RP in 17:01 (clockwise) with FFWD deep rims (Clincher) on. Never done that with the Zeros but that's hardly a scientific experiment and I don't use any tribars etc!
  • mrc1
    Haha I was just using the Zipp's as an example as they are the first wheel that I could think of. I'm not asking for zipp specific advice - just whether aero wheels in general will make a big enough difference.

Re cost I am fully aware how much they are and would not be able to buy the zipps but I am starting to break into elite category tris and duathlons so if they make a big enough difference I would consider getting aero wheels.....

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hmm - It is allot to spend whatever you decide.

I went with a disk rear and a 90 front - Zipp wheels for Triathlon/Ironman. I went with approx 5 mins off my total time (over 112 miles) depending on weather conditions (after searching web forums) - which, I personally find very hard to believe! I was too buggered after doing my bike ride on the triathlons, that I competed in, to "do the math" and work out my differential between event and training ride/mock race. My bike was a P3 Cervelo, so it would have looked a bit crap without the full on carbon wheels anyway!

My 10 mile time was down to the top end of 19 minutes with fantastic wheels - but I think it was becaue I slogged my guts out as opposed to aerodynamics.......won't get near those figures again in my mid 30's!

Ultimately, when you get to an event - adrenaline take over and pushes you harder anyway and nothing can beat simply getting fitter and working harder - cheaper than wheels too - so any maths you do to work out your efficiency are probably flawed by a percentage anyway. Think placebo effect - i.e. you go faster not because of the wheel efficiency, but you enjoy owning them and they look bitchin'.

Richmond Park is about 7 miles is it?! Wheels do make a big difference in terms of weight and efficiency, but don't go nuts (unless you are minted!) - a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones would be good for RP - deep'ish rim, carbon, will not catch too much on a cross wind - could use them as a summer wheel most days.

I am, of course, coming from a point of view where I sold the lot to buy a new kitchen....so I may be jealous! :-)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Haha I was just using the Zipp's as an example as they are the first wheel that I could think of. I'm not asking for zipp specific advice - just whether aero wheels in general will make a big enough difference.

Re cost I am fully aware how much they are and would not be able to buy the zipps but I am starting to break into elite category tris and duathlons so if they make a big enough difference I would consider getting aero wheels.....

I know this is going to sound silly but if you are prepared to spend that sort of money you should head to the roadie section as there are some people there that know what they are talking about!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mrc1
    Thanks GTV some good advice.

The race is in a couple of months and I have a few races in the meantime and will hope to peg a lap time of around the 17-17.5 minute mark on the day as it is a drafting allowed race and I will also have the adrenaline you mentioned (this is by far the shortest cycle distance race I have entered so I am going to focus more on out and out speed over one lap as opposed to endurance over 4-5 laps which is where my current PB came from).

I suppose I am getting to that stage where having a set of wheels that will shave time off means I can hit the same time as using the aksiums but save energy in the process for the run.....

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    gtvlusso wrote:
    My 10 mile time was down to the top end of 19 minutes with fantastic wheels - but I think it was becaue I slogged my guts out as opposed to aerodynamics.......won't get near those figures again in my mid 30's!
    Chapeau, sir. Great time.

Best (and last) 10 I did was a short 23. Was 17 at the time and on my (now) red and white hack bike, though. (That was more than half my life ago :shock: .) Beer and general lazyness at uni hampered my burgeoning TT career. I coulda been a contender, I tell ya*

* not really
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    See what you can pick up on t'interweb cheap! See how you feel on them. Deep rims do get badly affected by crosswind - always fun on a downhill section! My road wheels have a 35mm deep V rim and my "current" race wheels are Cosmic Carbones, unused this year :-(

I think the PLanet X ones are a bit of a bargain as are the Pro Lite wheels - also depends on whether you are going clincher tyres or tubular (tubs) - tubs can be a frickin' nightmare to change if you are not used to it!!!

May need valve extensions too!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I daren't post this on one of the road forums for fear of being overloaded with "data" about wattages and god knows what else.....

Basically I lap Richmond Park at around the 18-18.5 minute mark on Mavic Aksiums and wondered what sort of timing difference a pair of aero wheels would make (for example something with a 50ish mm profile eg Zipp 404)?

I'm not looking for specific numbers but just a rough estimate to help me work out whether they are worth the outlay - I have managed to get an elite entry in the London Duathlon and figure that if they save me 30 seconds over a lap it will be worth it but it wont be worth it if i save 5 seconds.......

I think there are two points here:

1. whether they will help in RP; and
    2. whether they will help in other elite events.

If you're Elite, do you set off early in the London Duathlon, because there seemed to be an awful lot of bike traffic when I spectated last year? It would be worth asking on the 3-Lap Challenge thread. I think Felgen has recently bought some aero wheels and attributed a faster time to them.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    Yeah I am going to have a scout around the web.

Thanks for the tip off re Planet X ones! I like the Mavic Cosmics - there are videos on youtube of people hitting them with hammers and standing on the spokes etc without any effect, which reassures me about their strength having also seen the TdF video of the guy hitting the dog and his Obermayers turning into dust.......

And very impressive on the TT time by the way!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • il_principe
    gtvlusso wrote:
    See what you can pick up on t'interweb cheap! See how you feel on them. Deep rims do get badly affected by crosswind - always fun on a downhill section! My road wheels have a 35mm deep V rim and my "current" race wheels are Cosmic Carbones, unused this year :-(

+1 especially if you're running a light bike. I weigh 75kg, the bike weighs around 6.9kg and I got blown all over the shop on a windy ride Wiltshire. By "all over the shop" I mean that on several occasions me and the bike got yanked at least a metre to the left\right in the blink of an eye. It was no an enjoyable experience and i was pleased I don't weigh less! Of course I'm sure you won't get wind like that in RP!
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:

I think there are two points here:

1. whether they will help in RP; and
    2. whether they will help in other elite events.

If you're Elite, do you set off early in the London Duathlon, because there seemed to be an awful lot of bike traffic when I spectated last year? It would be worth asking on the 3-Lap Challenge thread. I think Felgen has recently bought some aero wheels and attributed a faster time to them.

The Elite race sets off at stupid o'clock before the normal challenge race gets going as it is drafting allowed so there shouldnt be any traffic to avoid.

I will brave a question on the 3 lap board....... :lol:

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • gtvlusso
    If you are allowed to draft - I would stick with your normal wheels and adjust my position to sit below an opponents arse height - i.e. face in stem! - drafting will achieve more. in terms of energy conservation, than spending a shedload of dosh on new wheels (although new wheels look nice and are every riders dream!!!!). If you buy specific wheels you will use them "X" times a year - set of good yet reasonably priced wheels you may choose to use all year around!

You will also not suffer any cross wind battering....!

TT races are all non-draft events, leads to disqualification - even if it is just a complaint from another rider - organisers are very harsh on it, been there done that!!!
  • mrc1
    gtvlusso wrote:
    If you are allowed to draft - I would stick with your normal wheels and adjust my position to sit below an opponents ars* height - i.e. face in stem! - drafting will achieve more. in terms of energy conservation, than spending a shedload of dosh on new wheels (although new wheels look nice and are every riders dream!!!!).

I have to admit that this was playing on my mind. Although it does suppose that my run is fast enough that I am able to get onto someone's back wheel in the first place :wink:

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    Yeah, +1. You'll be in a mini-peleton. Probably more important where you place yourself within that bunch and don't do all the work. No harm in getting better wheels, but not convinced about fully aero ones.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    gtvlusso wrote:
    If you are allowed to draft - I would stick with your normal wheels and adjust my position to sit below an opponents ars* height - i.e. face in stem! - drafting will achieve more. in terms of energy conservation, than spending a shedload of dosh on new wheels (although new wheels look nice and are every riders dream!!!!).

I have to admit that this was playing on my mind. Although it does suppose that my run is fast enough that I am able to get onto someone's back wheel in the first place :wink:

So, what's the plan then? Launch the decisive attack at the foot of Broomfield second time round to leave the rest floundering? :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    cjcp wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

So, what's the plan then? Launch the decisive attack at the foot of Broomfield second time round to leave the rest floundering? :D

To be honest I was thinking about employing a few friends to let the other people's tyres down while we are out doing the first run...... :oops:

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • il_principe
    Why are they letting you draft, is that standard practive for Dual's? It's not allowed in Tri's is it?
    Drafting of course will make a huge difference, far more than wheel will. Just remember that if you do get in a good bunch make sure you take a turn at the front, it's very bad form not to!
  • gtvlusso
    No drafting in Tri or TT. Very harsh penalties if it is even mentioned....!
  • il_principe
    gtvlusso wrote:

That's what I thought...
  • mrc1
    edited July 2009
    I have done a couple of drafting allowed and a couple of non-drafting races - it seems to depend on the event. I think as this is such a short race (5k Run, 1 lap on the bike and a 2.5k run and as it is a relatively small field of elites it would be very difficult not to draft as 5k isnt going to seperate us out much.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    gtvlusso wrote:

That's what I thought...

The elite sprint tri race at Blenheim was drafting. As I said above I think they allow it in shorter races just because it would be impossible not to draft due to the short opening event not seperating people.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • gtvlusso
    I did a couple of duathlons a few years back at Castle Combe racetrack - it was listed as a non drafting event, but with the peloton, it was impossible not too - I think it is more, no drafting if you break away! With TT - you are set off at time intervals, so, in theory, you should never meet, but if you do - no drafting. With triathlon, depends on your swim and transition - ultimately, you probably are too spaced out in the field to try and draft, but if you do uner full regs, you are history!

Forget the wheels - become very slimi and like a wing and get yer face in someones butt!!

Meus Turgum, Vestri Visio - My arse, your face - Socrates*

*I do talk some rubbish!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Are you aware that they cost a fortune? I suppose it doesnt matter much seeing as you adding a Ciocc to your fleet.

The thing is that Zipps are tubulars and unless you are going to race properly I don't think it is worth it to buy something like that.

Zipps are not tubular only. I have the clincher version. Heavier - but just as fast (especially on a flat course).

Expensive - yes. But not outrageously so if you shop around.

They probably save me a good minute on a 10 mile TT over regular wheels.
  • il_principe
    I have done a couple of drafting allowed and a couple of non-drafting races - it seems to depend on the event. I think as this is such a short race (5k Run, 1 lap on the bike and a 2.5k run and as it is a relatively small field of elites it would be very difficult not to draft as 5k isnt going to seperate us out much.

1 lap? I really wouldn't bother with the wheels then. A car free RP should allow for some serious speed. Just get on the bars/in the drops and fcuking nail it (no need to come out of the big ring at all). Whic direction will you be going?
  • cjcp
    1 lap? You've got to be looking at a 17min lap then going c/wise, surely?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    Going by last year's course map (they havent confirmed anything yet) it will be a clockwise loop. I prefer anti-clockwise but it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Re the race plan I totally agree with Jash - Single speeding has given me good high GI climbing legs so I plan to power up the hill in the big ring and then just take roundabouts/corners with traffic free abandon and generally smash the course.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    so I plan to power up the hill in the big ring and then just take roundabouts/corners with traffic free abandon and generally smash the course.

I should hope so. I go up that in a 53x21 with a backpack (very, very slowly though). So, if you go into the 39, you'll be a big girl, in which case you shouldn't dare darken our doorstep again. :P

Note: I've consistently gone up that hill faster in the 39 with a higher cadence than I have in the 53 with a lower cadence. It's worth experimenting.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."