fitness first-then skills?

jstanman
jstanman Posts: 21
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
back riding after a while,quit smoking-bought a bike need to get fit but also want to learn skills to improve riding,do i need to improve general fitness first or will technique improve naturally??

Comments

• Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    You'll find that the skill will come on as your fitness does. But it depends on the type of riding you do too. There's a lot of different skills, more technical ones and skill in things such as pedal technique and climbing. So some skills you'll need to focus on to master, whereas others will improve over time.

The most important thing is to just get out there and ride.
  • jstanman
    jstanman Posts: 21
    seams like learning to manual is one to master,but way off yet :cry:
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    I haven't really mastered any of those things yet, still improving on the basics myself. I can pop the front wheel over most obstacles but continuous manuals are still out. Bunnyhopping is a bit of a black art as yet too, but I'd consider myself a reasonably competent rider by now.

Mix it up a little once you have the basics, go for a skills session every once in a while and focus on one thing, such as a hill climbing or singletrack session but you'll have enough to begin with just to pick up the fundamentals.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Just get out there and enjoy riding. Then in a few months time, look back and see how much you've improved! :D
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    You'll most likely find that skills will improve the more you are on your bike. I'd suggest sticking in a hour here and there to just play in an empty carpark or something learing to trackstand well and bunnyhop kerbs etc. It might be insulting your ability but you don't mention what kind of level you at. Then when out on the trails see if you notice you are using the skills you practice.

I always found things i practice would be fresh in my head so they are more likely to come out naturally during riding sessions.