Waiting for the withdrawl to hit me

Harry Hill
Harry Hill Posts: 114
edited July 2009 in Pro race
:-(

My daily routine for the last 3 weeks will now change. It's alway a bit rough for the first week or so . . . . .
.. who said that, internet forum people ?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Chin up, the Vuelta starts in a month! It's just like the Tour de France, only a bit more brown.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    Chin up, the Vuelta starts in a month! It's just like the Tour de France, only a bit more brown.

Cant wait for those long days of absolutely nothing but road and plains,still watch it though juts in case something exciting does happen.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Cant wait for those long days of absolutely nothing but road and plains,still watch it though juts in case something exciting does happen.

... hope its in HD... :)
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I know what you mean. I sometimes watche the Vuelta and the Giro, and I may watch the world Championships this year (never really kept an eye open for it before), but NOTHING beats le Tour.

Still, looking positively, only 11 months and 3 weeks to go.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I can get out on my bike in the evenings now and can't use watching the tour highlights as an excuse :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    afx237vi wrote:

Dont forget the week before that is the Eneco tour starting on August 16th :wink:
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Waiting? Why wait?

I was almost crying as they rolled the credits on ITV this afternoon. The heli shots of those snaking ribbons of road, the Alpine peaks, the snippets of crucial climbs and wins. I thought "I won't see any of this amazing spectacle for almost a whole year!"

What on earth can I find to fill the void (which Excel tells me is 342 days) between now and 3 July 2010? I'd jump for Eurosport but I've always vowed I wouldn't get a scat-a-lite dish as it would take over my life and that of my family. I can't do that. So I'm left wondering....
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Never mind at least you can watch British Premier Cycling on Eurosport or whatever it is called. Slightly heavy riders on Halford's bikes grinding through council estates with cars double parked, fabulous sight. Who needs Le Tour?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • It's even better now the tour of poland is just about to start with the good old 50's bike
  • afx237vi
    Gotte wrote:
    I know what you mean. I sometimes watche the Vuelta and the Giro, and I may watch the world Championships this year (never really kept an eye open for it before), but NOTHING beats le Tour.

Still, looking positively, only 11 months and 3 weeks to go.

That's not really what I meant. The Vuelta and the Giro are different to the Tour, but I wouldn't say they're any better or worse - that depends entirely on the riders and what type of racing they do.

I quite like the Vuelta really... even the bits in the plains. It's quite zen. Just mile after mile of emptiness. It allows your mind to wander off to strange, unexplored places. I imagine Haruki Murakami writes novels whilst watching flat stages of the Vuelta on Eurosport.

Am I correct in thinking there was one stage last year when the peloton were so zoned-out they actually finished around 7 o'clock in the evening? That's the kind of race the Vuelta is.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    afx237vi wrote:

Am I correct in thinking there was one stage last year when the peloton were so zoned-out they actually finished around 7 o'clock in the evening? That's the kind of race the Vuelta is.

Could have been this stage

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... vuelta0816

Average speed of about 21mph.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    I find watching the Vuelta with your central heating turned onto max and dont drink for a couple of hours.... helps with the atmosphere
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Tour of Britain, Clasica San Sebastian, World Champs, Paris-Tour, Lombardy all before the end of the season.

If only I had Eurosport I could watch them in proper size. :(
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

Could have been this stage

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/200 ... vuelta0816

Average speed of about 21mph.

That's the one. Boonen winning a bunch sprint, eh? How times change.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,134
    Carl_P wrote:
    Never mind at least you can watch British Premier Cycling on Eurosport or whatever it is called. Slightly heavy riders on Halford's bikes grinding through council estates with cars double parked, fabulous sight. Who needs Le Tour?

Ooh harsh, but I know what you mean - it's not really the same.

Can agree with the thread starter though, the helicopter shots, etc And despite the 'problems', what a fantastic sport it is. Though strangely, I actually preferred last year for some bizarre reason, don't ask me why though.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,655
    Hopefully we might get more impressions of animals from David Harmon, and at least Sammy Sanchez will liven things up.

Do you think Sastre, Evans or Menchov will have a bash this year, given the slightly ropey GC field?
  • afx237vi
    Hopefully we might get more impressions of animals from David Harmon, and at least Sammy Sanchez will liven things up.

Do you think Sastre, Evans or Menchov will have a bash this year, given the slightly ropey GC field?

Evans, maybe. Menchov won't be bothered. Sastre needs a rest.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Evans has said as much hasn't he? Must be pretty fresh considering the last week has been training rides
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    The Tour of Ireland is on too. My first taste of "live" pro cycling. Bring. It. On!!!
  • johnfinch wrote:
    Tour of Britain, Clasica San Sebastian, World Champs, Paris-Tour, Lombardy all before the end of the season.

If only I had Eurosport I could watch them in proper size. :(

Is San Sebastian on Eurosport this year? It hasn't been for the last few years.

Back to watching DVD's of old Paris Roubaix races
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    After going to bed between 1 am and 2 am for every stage and then getting up just before 6 I know I'll get withdrawal symptoms.

It happens every year, more so because after 3 weeks it becomes a set routine.

I did the Giro this year the same way; and found it took about 4- days to learn to fall asleep before midnight again.

I really don't know how my wife copes with me during these races :twisted:
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Being relatively new to this do ITV4 have much other cycling on or do I have to wait until July next year for TV bikes?

That sucks as I can't afford satellite!!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    This years vuelta is looking good, for the first time in history it starts in Holland, and will remain in there til stage 4 when it finishes in Belgium and then back to spain in stage 5

No Pyrenees or north of Spain at all.

Stage 8 looks like a cracker to me …. http://www.lavuelta.com/09/espanol/reco ... a8.asp?e=8

I have gone up the Aitana and it is hard, very twisty bends up the mountain and very narrow roads – very promising. You also have the Alto de Confrides, I used to play there as a kid with one of my best mates,

Then followed up by http://www.lavuelta.com/09/espanol/reco ... a9.asp?e=9

Looks to me like a very harsh beginning of the second week!

Another cracker here

http://www.lavuelta.com/09/espanol/reco ... 3.asp?e=13

There are loads of mountain stages in this years vuelta, so hopefully we shall be properly rewarded
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    final paragraph here sums it up for me:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ju ... -cavendish
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • jamlala
    Indeed Nervex, I coudn't agree more. It was simply awesome to watch the way Team Columbia worked to get Cavendish to the finish line. Much respect to Renshaw, Hincapie et al as they were outstanding.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    JamLala wrote:
    Indeed Nervex, I coudn't agree more. It was simply awesome to watch the way Team Columbia worked to get Cavendish to the finish line. Much respect to Renshaw, Hincapie et al as they were outstanding.

Absolutely, I actually enjoyed watching Team Columbia's tactics and positioning more than anything. They way they clawed back breakaways at just the right time and destroyed the opposition was fascinating to watch. I don't know how Cav manages to keep up, let alone manage a sprint finish! Brilliant team.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • finchy
    JamLala wrote:
    Being relatively new to this do ITV4 have much other cycling on or do I have to wait until July next year for TV bikes?

That sucks as I can't afford satellite!!

You should get Tour of Britain and Ireland. BBC will cover the World Championship road races.

There are quite a few streaming services for watching bike races.

When a bike race is on, go to cyclingfans.com or myp2p.eu
  • jamlala
    Top Man - thanks John!
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • finchy
    JamLala wrote:
    Top Man - thanks John!

You're welcome.