FANTASY PRO TEAM - PART 1: Choose your bike manufacturer

geeteewmb
geeteewmb Posts: 2,221
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
There is a lot of talk about new teams starting for next season, so I thought it might be an idea to start a little 'Build your on team from the ground up' game to take us through to the start of the 2010 season.

Each week I pick different aspect of the team, e.g. Bike Manufacturer, Directeur Sportif, Sprinter, Groupset Manufacturer, Team Leader, Domestiques, Team Name, Team Base, Team Cars etc.

Hopefully make for a good fun debate.

So, first up - the most important decision: Which bike manufacturer?

My vote would probably be Cervelo, but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.

What about you?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    BMC for me.
  • Chirg
    Chirg Posts: 141
    Let's give the guys custom rigs. In order of preference Crumption, Seven or Serotta.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Chirg wrote:
    Let's give the guys custom rigs. In order of preference Crumption, Seven or Serotta.

Give them all Viner Maxima's. Proper custom rigs.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Chirg
    Hi Chip, what do you mean by 'proper'? What does Viner do that the others don't? I am not been funny, just want to know why the guys would be better on Viners.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    It would have to be Bianchi HoC 928 SLs!
    FCN 1
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    i think my team would ride pimped peugeot's 8)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Mercians, some nice English steel!

On a more sensible note, it has to be DeRosa or Colnago! Preferably the former!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Or Roberts of Croydon. :)
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    Trek for me most successful bikes in the tour in recent years plus they look the dogs dangly bits (but not when painted in butterfly's).
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    So, first up - the most important decision: Which bike manufacturer?

listning to the commentary the bikes by all the top manufacturers are all that good these days that there is very little difference in any of them according to Sean Kelly the riders can jump on any of the top end bikes with no problems.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Colnago!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chirg wrote:
    Hi Chip, what do you mean by 'proper'? What does Viner do that the others don't? I am not been funny, just want to know why the guys would be better on Viners.

The Maxima's main tubes are custom drawn/manufactured depending on the riders weight, preferred riding style etc. They are then bonded to custom laid lugs. This gives a ride which is tailored to the rider as well as the frame angles, measurement etc.

Magnus Backstedt is riding a Maxima this year (the rest of his Swedish team are riding Viners too) - according to one of the Viner reps he phoned him after riding the bike a few months. Said he liked it but wasn't getting much feedback from the wheels when descending. So the rep spoke to Viner - they said he hadn't pushed it hard enough!

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Cervelo! Top frames and Canadian too, eh?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    They should ride Penny Farthings, and all the riders should be forced to cultivate handlebar moustaches.

Seriously though, I like the look of the Boardman ones that Sky will be riding next year.
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Colnago

Yes other brands have jumped ahead on the carbon but they are still THE brand

Classic bikes that represent bike building to me :D
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Whichever manufacturer stumps up most cash :twisted:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • pugwashcp
    pugwashcp Posts: 120
    Gary Fishers Cronus Ultimate. (see front page)

How annoying would it be to have your a$$ whipped by a guy on a bike built by a mountain biker. They also sound like they'd be plenty stiff enough for the pros.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Chirg
    Chip \'oyler wrote
    Chirg wrote:

The Maxima's main tubes are custom drawn/manufactured depending on the riders weight, preferred riding style etc. They are then bonded to custom laid lugs. This gives a ride which is tailored to the rider as well as the frame angles, measurement etc.

Magnus Backstedt is riding a Maxima this year (the rest of his Swedish team are riding Viners too) - according to one of the Viner reps he phoned him after riding the bike a few months. Said he liked it but wasn't getting much feedback from the wheels when descending. So the rep spoke to Viner - they said he hadn't pushed it hard enough!

Wow, for the price they charge that is great.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    Enigma!

this should stand out from the crowd
    regards,
    dbb
  • bikeboy123
    bikeboy123 Posts: 63
    probalys scott...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    good to start with a criterion than makes no difference to whether the team will be competitive!!!
  • Chip \'oyler
    jedster wrote:
    good to start with a criterion than makes no difference to whether the team will be competitive!!!

OK what about our fantasy team turns up on BMXs. Don't worry - they'll still be competitive.

• Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    Kuota for me please.
  • robdaykin
    robdaykin Posts: 102
    Now they have a TT frame, surely Parlee.
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    My vote is Serrotta.

Touch of class. Reassuringly (read ridiculously) expensive, sounds Italian but isn't (like Colnago).

:)
    Well. Certaintly...