Sean Kelly - Euro sport

Wappygixer
Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
I wish thye didn't use him so much, maybe just 10 mins per stage max.
He has great knowledge but doesn't show any passion for cycling at all.
He's about as excitable as a Finnish F1 driver is winning an F1 race.
Not once has he made me want to get out and ride my bike.
The other guys on Eurosport I find give a more balanced commentary. I like to hear about local landmarks etc.
They should try and get Murry Walker into cycling for the ultimate commentator and the ultimate co*k ups.

Comments

• geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Is that the one that used to have David Duffield as a commentator? I never watched it, not having a TV, but my pal used to get incandescent about his commenting on anything but the actual race.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • I think Sean Kelly is good. Love his sense of humour.His insight and reading of the race is superb. I know he doesn't get excited by anything but I guess he spends a lot of time listening to race radio whilst David Harmon does most of the commentary.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I think someone must have had a word with SK for this year's Tour and set a limited quota for 'certainly's and 'majorly's.

Much better this year, SK really knows his onions. Harmon is brilliant - how he keeps it interesting even on the dullest days, I don't know. One man I would love to buy a pint.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I think Kelly and Harmon make a pretty good double act - although I do sometimes wish that Sean would volunteer a bit more info in some of his answers....
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Nuggs wrote:
    I think someone must have had a word with SK for this year's Tour and set a limited quota for 'certainly's and 'majorly's.
    He doesn't do 'certainly' - the word is 'certaintly'! :wink:
  • Capo
    Capo Posts: 439
    I lost count of the number of times that SK said "number of" when "few" would have been a lot more economical.

"The past number of days...", "the last number of Tours..." etc, etc.

I know it's an Irish turn of phrase, but boy did it start to wind me up - more than a few times, in fact.
    Can\'t drive, won\'t drive
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like Kelly - he knows his stuff.

Its not his job to make you want to ride a bike - surely thats your issue Wappie ?
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    agree with the previous post Sean Kelly and David Harmon make a brilliant pair of commentators Sean is there for his tactical knowledge of which nobody is better he is always on the ball with regards race radio crashes breaks time gaps ect and i also think he is responsable for gaining a lot of the upto date interviews with team directors David is the master commentator making even the dulest stages watchable long may they continue for many a tour.
    the one saving grace is i didn't hear David Duffield once during the three weeks and that is deffo a cause for celibration.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    cougie wrote:
    I like Kelly - he knows his stuff.

Its not his job to make you want to ride a bike - surely thats your issue Wappie ?

Its not his job no but some people can just motivate you into just doing it, SK doesn't for me.
    Its like Jenson Button or Lewis Hamilton winning a race could make you really want to drive an F1 car but if Kimi Räikkönen won with all his enthusiasm and smiles you'd be lucky to want to drive to the shops.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Capo wrote:
    I lost count of the number of times that SK said "number of" when "few" would have been a lot more economical.

I know it's an Irish turn of phrase, but boy did it start to wind me up - more than a few times, in fact.

I missed David and Sean during the TdF - could only get ITV4 on the interweb. Still, it improved my knowledge of the castles of France no end.

I like The way Sean puts David right when he's wrong. I also like his accent - it's like listening to a pint of Guinness being poured - sums up Ireland. He's rather taciturn for a pundit though and doesn't do the extra padding - that's left to David, hence the occasional daft comment. If it was just Sean I get the feeling that there would be a lot of 'dead air'. Graeme Fife says Sean has been known to answer a question with a nod whilst doing radio!!
    Are they doing the Vuelta, Tour of Poland etc?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    The Vuelta yes
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Was it me or for the last week did Sean make an effort not to say "yes well certaintly"???

I
  • Peacenik
    Peacenik Posts: 292
    Capo wrote:

"More than a number of times", surely?
    :lol:
    FCN - 3 (hairy-legged roadie)
    FCN - 6 (single speed)

http://adventuresontwowheels.blogspot.com/
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Nuggs wrote:

I noticed this. Someone got him a thesaurus. Maybe he read this forum?
    Shazam !!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Wappygixer wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I
    Its not his job no but some people can just motivate you into just doing it, SK doesn't for me.
    Its like Jenson Button or Lewis Hamilton winning a race could make you really want to drive an F1 car but if Kimi Räikkönen won with all his enthusiasm and smiles you'd be lucky to want to drive to the shops.

Each to their own - personally I can't stand Lewis Hamilton but I think Sean Kelly is great.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    I just wish he'd mumble less. He tends to start of fairly clear then disappear into a cloud of joined-up Irish mumblings.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Was it me or for the last week did Sean make an effort not to say "yes well certaintly"???

I

He was majorly givin' it 100 percent dare i tink.

*apologises and runs away*
    Well. Certaintly...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Wappygixer wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I

Each to their own - personally I can't stand Lewis Hamilton but I think Sean Kelly is great.

+ 1