Evans, Sastre & Menchov........

andyrac
andyrac Posts: 1,174
edited July 2009 in Pro race
.......so, What happened??
All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."

Comments

• rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Who knows, but i seriously doubt that Menchov passed his cycling proficiency test at school.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Intimidated by the Cowboy?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sastre is on his 4th consecutive grand tour. Tour (1st) -> Vuelta (3rd) -> Giro (4th) -> Tour (17th).
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Menchov(so I read somewhere) hurt his hip when he crashed in the Giro TT and hadn't been able to ride much before the Tour. Probably hoped to ride himself in but crashing as much as he did probably knocked his hip out even more. (Needs a good Oesteopath who also does cranial to sort out the shock).
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Fru T Bunn
    Fru T Bunn Posts: 159
    Evans.......so, What happened??
    Something about a little lap dog?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Apart from all that, they're getting older. 32, 31, 34. This year was a change of generation tour. well, apart fromthe nr. 3 spot.....
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Sastre was obviously tired, as was Menchov, Evans just had a bad one.

I think out of those 3, the only suprise was Evans, I didn't really expect much of the other 2.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Evans was shite the whole Tour and then turned in a really good performance in the final TT. I'm surprised he bothered with the effort.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Yesterday, Bordry of the AFLD said about 15 riders were informed in advance of the Tour that new procedures had been developed by AFLD to test for CERA.

Maybe the 15 included these three?

Also yesterday, however, Voeckler still cast doubt on whether the Tour was ‘clean’.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    knedlicky wrote:

Also yesterday, however, Voeckler still cast doubt on whether the Tour was ‘clean’.

Got a link?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Odelay!
    Odelay! Posts: 58
    Evans was shite the whole Tour and then turned in a really good performance in the final TT. I'm surprised he bothered with the effort.

4th in the opening TT, at 23s, so not really.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Stuey01 wrote:

7th up to Verbier, 12th in the final TT...
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Stuey01 wrote:

7th up to Verbier, 12th in the final TT...

Yep and his 12th was worth better than that has he had the worst of the conditions. I'm not Evans's biggest fan, but he was clearly handicapped again by poor team, I doubt Lance would have won 7 tours with Lotto!

That said Armstrong did alot better than I was expecting.
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    afx237vi wrote:
    Sastre is on his 4th consecutive grand tour. Tour (1st) -> Vuelta (3rd) -> Giro (4th) -> Tour (17th).

You are right AFX, he is absolutelly tired, and he tries everithing in the queen stage, no objetion with Carlos.

Dennis are so tired as well (why don't he chose Vuelta instead Tour this year?)

Cadel hasn't excuses, hope see him in the Vuelta
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Timoid. wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    Got a link?
    No link ... I heard him interviewed on RTL French radio and apart from talking of his satisfaction at his own performance, he said something like

It’s more prudent to not yet repeat that ‘one has at last been able to watch a Tour different from recent years’ and instead to wait awhile before saying it was a ‘clean’ Tour.

A bit vague and general I know but no rider is going to be more specific. On the other hand it could also be nothing more than Voeckler’s pretentious way of making himself sound clever; he does have a reputation for slight occasional pomposity.