Paris Roubaix Sportive 2010

Jellylegs1968
Jellylegs1968 Posts: 73
I have a mad desire to subject myself to the cobbles next year.

I have a few questions:

1. Bike set up. I have a Cervelo RS with Ksyrium SSC SL's. I'm guessing these wheels are a little on the stiff side for PR. Would hand built wheels be a good bet? What about tyres, should i think about bigger tyres than 23's? Anything else on the bike set up side?

2. Training. I live in Devon where we can do hilly but pretty flat is tough. How should i train for a race than is mainly flat? Road surface wise we have plenty of unclassified roads which are rougher than a badger's bottom so i can get a meausre of practice for the pave (i know the pave will be way worse).

Any tips or advice would be greatly received.

JL

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I would have thought hills would be a good start tbh, hills are always better training than flats and more interesting imho.

For the sportive I remember C+ did an article on it a while back and I got the impression it was purely a matter of pain endurance. Mega padded bar tape and gloves was recommended, 25c tyres woun't hurt and you can keep them slightly deflated to give an even better ride.

FYI Saxo bank this year was running some solid wheels and they had 27c tyres at 6 bar (I believe).
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    have a look at past threads about this sportive. Lots of people do it but be prepared for complete bike carnage, wheels broken etc. Looks a lot of 'fun' but it's full-on pandemonium at the front end
    M.Rushton
  • cakewalk
    cakewalk Posts: 220
    ANyone know when/how to register for this?
    "I thought of it while riding my bicycle."
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Jellylegs,

Where abouts are you situated in Devon? Perhaps you could PM me. I've always wanted to do this event and am hoping to get together some fellow YOGi's for this next year.

On the training front; I would have thought long rides and go hard up the hills for the interval training, though Paris-Roubaix is relatively flat. Mountain biking for working on handling skills would be helpful. What about using a cyclocross bike off-road, if you have one.
  • I do indeed have a newly acquired Cyclocross bike and was planning on racing cross this winter to work on hard shorter efforts and bike handling.

I should have added that i completed the 100 mile Dartmoor classic this year and hope to do several more centuries before 2009 is out.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I have been thinking about this one as it is a monument but I think it is on a weds ? Will have to check the site above when I get a bit more time.

Won't do it on the carbon frame anyway as don't want that destroyed
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    Did the full distance PR last year with a mate. It was easy to get on and cheap (less than £20?). It has about 5 or 6 feed stations with plenty of food and drinks, at the end there is a sandwich and bottle of stella. We stayed in Compiegne with a hire car, you can then drive to the start on the day and if you tick the option on the event entry get a bus back from Roubaix.
    Not sure you can do anything to prepare for the cobbles, fit some 25mm tyres, get some decent padded gloves and hang on. There is nothing like it but once was enough for me.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • nolf wrote:
    I would have thought hills would be a good start tbh, hills are always better training than flats and more interesting imho.

Not completely true :wink:

But still, it won't hurt to just do your usual training routes, hilly or otherwise, then perhaps do some interval sessions on the turbo and work on your speed closer to the event?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I'm tempted by this too - I'd be going handbuilts with a 27c rear, 25c front I reckon, and maybe on a CX frameset 8)
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    I'll be doing this. For various reasons, I've missed the last two editions. Flanders was ace this year - I love cobbles - so I'll be battering me and my (carbon) bike through the Arrenberg Forest....

Oh, and I'll likely use Vittoria Pave tyres again (as for Flanders) - 24mm, supple and grippy. Ideal. Oh, and on handbuilt wheels - they're easier to repair than Ksyriums.

Not sure of the logoistics - I have yet to encourage Mrs F that a trip to industrial northern France is an attractive option for her....
  • msurch
    msurch Posts: 2
    Does anyone know why the 2010 Roubaix sportive is scheduled for June rather than April? I am hoping to come from Canada to do both Flanders and Roubaix in one trip. 2011 is the year I am going for, just wondering whether 2010 is an annomaly.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    msurch wrote:
    Does anyone know why the 2010 Roubaix sportive is scheduled for June rather than April? I am hoping to come from Canada to do both Flanders and Roubaix in one trip. 2011 is the year I am going for, just wondering whether 2010 is an annomaly.
    It is always held in June, presumably to ensure better riding conditions for those taking part.

You should also be aware that it's only held every other year, so the next one after 2010 will be in 2012.

You could do the Flanders sportive the day before the Tour of Flanders still. That's a great event.
  • BMX Bear
    BMX Bear Posts: 198
    Looking forward to this, fat tyres, extra bartape, can't wait!
    www.icenivelo.co.uk - Norfolks most inclusive cycling club
  • msurch
    msurch Posts: 2
    andyp wrote:
    msurch wrote:
    It is always held in June, presumably to ensure better riding conditions for those taking part.

You should also be aware that it's only held every other year, so the next one after 2010 will be in 2012.

You could do the Flanders sportive the day before the Tour of Flanders still. That's a great event.

Thanks for this Andy; I find it difficult to get clear info on these events... I think your suggestion is a good one; Flanders followed by the Pro race would be a treat. I suppose my legs be half ripped off anyway!